SJMC Student Selected for Dow Jones News Fund Internship

SJMC junior Megan Ryan has been selected as a 2013 Dow Jones News Fund Intern. In summer 2013, she will head to the The Journal News in White Plains, NY as a sports copy editor.

Megan Ryanweb.jpgRyan, who is a sports reporter at the Minnesota Daily and will participate in the Star Tribune Practicum in spring 2013, says that this experience will teach her another side of writing and reporting. "With this being a sports copy editing position, I'm excited that I'll know both the reporting and editing side of writing," she said. "There are a lot of great skills you can learn from being a copy editor."

The program begins with a two-week training session in Lincoln, Neb. At the training, Ryan will be matched with students from schools around the country who are also heading off to do sports copy editing at various newspapers.

The DJNF is a nationally recognized program that places students with various reporting, writing and editing interests in newsrooms across the country. Two faculty members at SJMC, Amy Kristin Sanders and Seth Lewis, are former DJNF Interns.

"The program is really well known," said Ryan. "I'm excited to have this honor follow me as I begin my career."

This page contains a single entry by showard published on December 10, 2012 3:02 PM.

Mentor Program Kick-Off Event Held on Nov. 17, 2012 was the previous entry in this blog.

SJMC Student Accepted to News21 Program is the next entry in this blog.