Kathleen Hansen Receives Tate Award

On March 13, 2014, Kathleen Hansen, professor and director of undergraduate studies at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (SJMC), was awarded the 2013-2014 John Tate Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising.

Kathleen Hansen Tate AwardA faculty member since 1981, Hansen has advised countless students in her tenure. "Professor Hansen is more than my journalism adviser. She is my role model. She is my mentor. She stood by me through many life decisions. Professor Hansen helped me -- the daughter of poor Hmong refugees --believe that I can be a journalist, a lawyer or anything else I want to be," said Susie Vang, B.A., '05.

"Passion is wonderful in an adviser, but where Professor Hansen excels is through the personal relationships she has with her students. Since the day we met, her door has always been open," said Kevin Schaul, B.A., '14.

"I have learned as much from students as they've learned from me," Hansen said. "This is a real highlight," she said of the award.

Throughout her years at SJMC, she has also served as the faculty adviser for both the Society of Professional Journalists and Alliance for Women in Media student groups.

The Tate Award is named in honor of John Tate, professor of physics and first dean of University College. The award recognizes and rewards high-quality academic advising.

This page contains a single entry by showard published on March 13, 2014 11:32 AM.

Faculty Research Spotlight: Jisu Huh was the previous entry in this blog.

Bob Fransen to Receive SJMC's Alumni Society Board's Award for Excellence is the next entry in this blog.