« Reading #18 | Main | Blog Prompt #7 »

KINETIC T y p o g r a p h y

This week in our discussion section, Della talked a little bit about the impact and subject of typography. I found this rather coincidental.

Last week, I was doing homework, watching and analyzing the title sequence of "The Age of Innocence" on youtube (It should be noted that I am a person who is very easily distracted). So, after spending a half an hour or so dissecting the design elements and principles of the movie clip, my mouse wandered to the related videos on the sidebar and I began clicking away. I know, I know..I should have been working, but I'm sure we've all done it. If you're on youtube, one minute you'll be watching Harry Potter Puppet Pals, and the next you'll be watching a slow-mo video of some kid eating chocolate cake, set to the "Friends" theme song. It happens.

But this time, I actually found something that was pretty fascinating. I stumbled across a whole series of videos on "Kinetic Typography." Basically, it's just as it sounds - words in motion - but more awesome. Awesome to the power of 56 (<--random number). Most of the clips I found were set to songs or movie scripts. They played the audio from the chosen media and then displayed the dialogue in various colors, texts, and sizes. Then, they animated it.

What I found most intriguing was how the kinetic typography really illustrated the mood of the movie/song. It was interesting how changing the font style and weight could mirror someone laughing or whispering. Even though there was no visual picture, I could formulate an idea of what was occurring in the scene just by the way the moving typography and audio worked together. The people who created and posted these on youtube truly put a lot of thought into each aspect of typography and how it could work to convey the image without showing a direct picture.

Here are some of my (appropriate) favorites. There are a lot more on youtube - I encourage you to check them out!!

Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?" routine.

"V for Vendetta" scene with V's introduction

Go Canada! A short clip to honor Ozayr on the basics of typography in motion by Vancouver Film School students