« Quote o' the Day | Main

The last day...

goodbye.jpg

Today was my last day volunteering at Minnesota Internship Center and I have to admit... I am rather sad to leave. The students were just finishing up their animal projects, so it was cool to see their posters (which they have been working on for several weeks now) finally coming together. I helped them put on the finishing touches, gluing and cutting, and listened while they rehearsed their written lines. They start their final presentations on their research tomorrow and I am disappointed that I won't be there to see them in their moment in front of the class.

I am going to try to volunteer again at MNIC, but it is sad because I do not know if I will ever get to see these kids again. Chances are that I won't ever be in the same classroom as any one of them. There is still so much that I don't know about them and am so anxious to discover, so much beyond what their names are and what homework they need help on. I have been fortunate to have a few outside conversations with a few students, but there was not much time to do so. And in those short, fleeting moments, I have uncovered so much about their personalities, characters, and the diverse backgrounds that they come from. My service learning at Minnesota Internship Center has truly been an awesome experience...one that I can't wait to continue next semester!

(Image from http://www.davidfairhurst.com/more/goodbye_files/goodbye.jpg)