This is it. Today is the day.

This is it. Our research project. And today is the day. The day we are presenting it in front of our entire lecture. In T-minus 2 hours. This is a back-up in case things go wrong.

I'm so nervous I can hardly type this. Talking in front of people is not my forte, and being this nervous makes my speech go down the crapper. Please, Lord, help us.

Millennium Development Goal 4 - Reduce Child Mortality

Research Document PDF - Download file

Research Class Presentation - Download file

Research Project Video -

KINETIC T y p o g r a p h y

This week in our discussion section, Della talked a little bit about the impact and subject of typography. I found this rather coincidental.

Last week, I was doing homework, watching and analyzing the title sequence of "The Age of Innocence" on youtube (It should be noted that I am a person who is very easily distracted). So, after spending a half an hour or so dissecting the design elements and principles of the movie clip, my mouse wandered to the related videos on the sidebar and I began clicking away. I know, I know..I should have been working, but I'm sure we've all done it. If you're on youtube, one minute you'll be watching Harry Potter Puppet Pals, and the next you'll be watching a slow-mo video of some kid eating chocolate cake, set to the "Friends" theme song. It happens.

But this time, I actually found something that was pretty fascinating. I stumbled across a whole series of videos on "Kinetic Typography." Basically, it's just as it sounds - words in motion - but more awesome. Awesome to the power of 56 (<--random number). Most of the clips I found were set to songs or movie scripts. They played the audio from the chosen media and then displayed the dialogue in various colors, texts, and sizes. Then, they animated it.

What I found most intriguing was how the kinetic typography really illustrated the mood of the movie/song. It was interesting how changing the font style and weight could mirror someone laughing or whispering. Even though there was no visual picture, I could formulate an idea of what was occurring in the scene just by the way the moving typography and audio worked together. The people who created and posted these on youtube truly put a lot of thought into each aspect of typography and how it could work to convey the image without showing a direct picture.

Here are some of my (appropriate) favorites. There are a lot more on youtube - I encourage you to check them out!!

Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?" routine.

"V for Vendetta" scene with V's introduction

Go Canada! A short clip to honor Ozayr on the basics of typography in motion by Vancouver Film School students

VICTORY!

I figured it out! Whoop! Whoop!
maybe?
test test test....
Yay! I am going to go celebrate and eat a banana...

Lame-o

I've spent countless hours battling my computer illiteracy this past week by reading up on the Movabletype platform and html and I still can't figure out how to italicize or bold a sentence. Go figure.

Confession

I admit – I have never been a reader of blogs. Okay, occasionally I have stumbled across them when the all-powerful Google Search has displayed them in my results, but I have always felt slightly out of place reading them. Kind of like…I was secretly reading someone’s diary. Stealthily. Behind their back. In addition, I can’t help but have some feeling of displacement when I do in fact read them. It’s almost as if I have been plopped down in the middle of a continuing story. I have to seek out the beginning to find out why I am here and exactly what the heck is going on. Rather unsettling.

But despite these feelings of awkwardness and unease toward blogs, I also have to admit – I have entertained the idea of writing my own. Not really seriously, mind you, but I have thought about it. For a short period of time when I was younger, I used to religiously keep a journal. Each night before I went to bed, I would compose a handwritten scribble of the day’s events (I remember a particularly long entry I wrote in fifth grade when we had a cruel and tyrannical substitute teacher. Oh, the drama.). After I’d finished, I would expertly stash it behind my bookshelf, away from the devious intentions of my three younger brothers. I stopped after some time when I became “too busy? and “too tired?, but I was always amused when I took the time to look back and re-read what I had recorded. It would help me to remember things about my life that I had long forgotten. I enjoyed looking back and rediscovering my childhood self.

Now, I view a blog as a sort of “online diary,? there to publicly document life from anywhere a person is in the world. I would never really expect anyone to read my writings or care about my lonesome thoughts, but I like the idea of having it there to reflect upon – to recall life as I once knew it. As I find myself in a class that directs us to create our own personal blog, I guess today is as good as ever for me to begin.

So here it is. My blog. My life. My chronicles. Brought about through the requirements of Architecture 1701, but spiked with my own random thoughts and ramblings. Read it if you want. Skip over it if you’d rather not. Regardless, it will be here - a document of my trials, tribulations, and mandatory assignments.