Quote o' the Day

"Take a small but varied company to any convenient viewing place overlooking some portion of city and countryside and have each, in turn, describe the 'landscape' to detail what it is composed of and say something about the 'meaning' of what can be seen. It will soon be apparent that even though we gather together and look in the same direction at the same instant, we will not - we cannot - see the same landscape. We may certainly agree that we will see many of the same elements - houses, roads, trees, hills - in terms of such denotations as number, form, dimension, and color, but such facts take on meaning only through association; they must be fitted together according to some coherent body of ideas. Thus we confront the central problem: any landscape is composed not only of what lies before our eyes but what lies within our heads."
-D.W. Meinig, "The Beholding Eye."

Quote o' the Day

"You can't stop the waves.
But, you can learn to surf."
-Unknown

Quote o' the Day

Last week, I was perched on my chair at my computer, feverishly typing a paper for my "Intro to Design Thinking" class. For our topic, we had to write about a memorable place and how it related to specific design theories, etc., etc. We also had to describe why the place was meaningful to us, so I was looking through pages of quotes on memories. I came across this one that didn't really relate to my paper, but it resonated in my mind, rather sadly...

"Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened"
-T.S. Eliot.

Quote o' the Day

I really like quotes.

I like looking up quotes that describe how I am feeling. I like the reassurance that I get from them. Whenever I find one that hits my emotions right on the metaphorical head, it is comforting in a way to know that someone, somewhere knows or once knew exactly what I am going through. I like their motivating and inspirational qualities. I also like their ability to make me laugh or cry at times and their ability to bring back memories and history.

Main Idea: I really like quotes.

Acting upon this, I decided that my blog could use a lil' bit of quotation love once in a while. My pick for this entry is from reading #13 by Norman Crowe. I don't know exactly why, but these worlds really resonated with me. I think it is mainly because of my childhood. I grew up near a small town on 40 acres of forest, so all of my youthful play pretty much revolved around the outdoors. Ultimately, nature is very much a part of who I am.

So, here it is - the Quote o' the Day.

"The man-made world is an alternative nature, so to speak, created by artifice and born as a human reflection of the wonder we find in the natural world - the heavens, the seasons, landscapes and seascapes, plants and animals."
-Norman Crowe