« June 29 Submission | Main | General Mills Feedback »

july 6th submission

Enjoyed the class on the 30th. Obviously helpful to my own situation as I try to link the concepts in the class to my real life issues that i am doing in my workplace.

After going through the exercise, the answer reiterated what I was already thinking. That in the case of performing non-core services in the organization such as accounts payable, it is much better to oursource the technology and process to those who have expertise in the area. Without the distraction of these non-core services, the organization (such as ours with environmental consulting) will be better to concentrate on how it creates value.

I am slightly concerned with the thought of outsourcing non-core functions such as IT and accounting, since these are the primary areas in which I envision the majority of my career to be concentrated. However, I am also intrigued

by the thought that our administrative tasks do not need to be limited to our internal resources (which are hard to find and retain). As technology continues to streamline business processes, I envision a day where repetitive daily tasks will be replaced with individuals that control the system to manage this work automatically.

Although I am still early in my career, I reflect on how far we have come over the past 15 years since I graduated from college. At that point, the internet was starting to take hold and communication was drastically changed. I look forward to the next 30 years and what business will look like when I retire. Hopefully I will be able to keep up by keeping an open mind and always looking for a better solution.

Looking forward to the meeting at General Mills. Not sure what to expect but it does appear interesting.