« Cruise ship strikes ice, stranded on Antarctic coast | Main

Caylee's Mom Won't Receive Death Penalty

CNN reported the death penalty will not be sought for a Florida woman convicted of killing her 3-year-old daughter, according to court documents filed Friday.
Prosecutors concluded that "It is not in the best interest of the people of the state of Florida to pursue the death penalty as a potential sentence," the document said.
"Therefore, the state of Florida will not be seeking the death penalty as to Casey Marie Anthony."
In a case that has received national attention, 22-year-old Anthony is charged with killing daughter Caylee Anthony. Arrested last month, she faces charges including first-degree murder in the disappearance of Caylee, who has been missing since June.
She could face up to a life sentence in prison.
Anthony did not tell her family that Caylee was missing until a month later. Cindy Anthony, Caylee's grandmother and Casey's mother, called the Orange County, Florida sheriff on July 15, saying that her daughter refused to tell her where Caylee was.
Anthony gave conflicting statements to police when questioned about Caylee's disappearance. Investigative reports and hundreds of documents released in the case revealed some to be false.
Anthony said she left Caylee with a baby sitter, but police who checked out her story found the address Anthony gave was that of an apartment that had been empty for weeks. The woman Anthony said was the baby sitter told police she did not know her.
In an early investigation, cadaver dogs found the scent of death in Anthony's car and her parents' backyard. Air quality tests conducted by the FBI also found evidence of human decomposition and chloroform in the trunk of Anthony's car.
A neighbor told police that Anthony had asked to borrow a shovel. An analysis of Anthony's computer found she had conducted Internet searches of missing children and had visited Web sites discussing chloroform, according to information released in the case.
A request from prosecutors for a gag order was denied last month by Florida 9th Circuit Judge Stan Strickland, who said he could not condone that continued media coverage of the trial would be a threat or that a gag order would even halt such heavy publicity.