How to Blog
To login, follow the Login to UThink on the right side of the screen. Enter your x500 id and password.
1. First, set up a nickname. Once you've logged in, you'll be taken to the Movable Type main menu (Movable Type is the name of the blogging software the U is using). In the top right corner, you'll see "Welcome yourx500." Click on your name and you'll be taken to your Author Profile. In the "Display Name" box, enter what you would like displayed as your name on the blog. Your first name is fine, though if you want to use something else that's fine too: just email me and let me know what it is.
2. To make your first entry, from the Main Menu page, just click on the "New Entry" link under "Politics and Society." You'll be taken to a page that looks like this:
In the Title field, enter a title for your entry. Under "Primary Category," click on the drop-down box and find the category that best fits your post. Then, in the "Entry Body" box, write your post. In general, it's a good idea to write your post first in a simple text editor and then just paste it into the box.
For short entries (two paragraphs or less), just put the whole thing in the "Entry Body" box. For longer entries, break up your entry by putting anything past the second paragraph into the "Extended Entry" box. That way your entry won't take up all the space on the main pages and people will have to click a "Continue reading..." link to see all the post.
A few notes:
- To make something bold, highlight the word and then click the "B" icon.
- To italicize something, just type the word, highlight it and click the "I" icon.
- To make a weblink, write the text you want to make into a link, highlight it and then click the link icon above (it's a little chain icon). Then, in the window that pops up, type (or paste) in the URL you want to link to.
- Obviously, for all of these you can just use HTML tags as well if you know them.