« Changing 2000yrs of religion over night? | Main | Media Journal follow-up »

Technology in the Third World

Computer per Child Campaign. This is a project designed to get low costing ($150) laptop computers to third world countries. The article I read was dealing with this project. It seems to have sparked a debate as to will this actually be an obtainable goal and will it actually lead to educating children in third world countries. Intel believes that this can happen are trying to make computers cheaper and ones that can teach the children. Microsoft on the other hand does not believe this will work because the technology is too advanced and that they do not have the capabilities in the rural areas to maximize their usage. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/technology/30laptop.html?em&ex=1165035600&en=b685b8c4df53a1ea&ei=5087%0A

I thought about the culture topic we had in class and I think that Microsoft could be right. I mean these people don’t have Internet or have ever used a computer. It just is not apart of their culture. One major question would be is, do these people want a computer? Or would they rather have something more productive like farm equipment or something that will actually help out these third world countries. I don’t think these business types are thinking this project through. I don’t really see this as a good idea. It is almost forcing our way of learning and our culture onto another. We know this does not work. Bill Gates describes it as, “just taking what we do in the rich world and assuming that that is something good for the developing world, too.?

On the specific question of whether or not people in poorer countries would "because of their culture," be interested in learning technology or not, Here is an interesting study that suggests kids in poorer countries are actually more interested in and excited about science and technology.