Fire threatens Gunflint

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_5835328

"GRAND MARAIS, Minn. - Authorities ordered a mandatory evacuation of the west end of the Gunflint Trail on Sunday as a wildfire grew to 12.5 square miles and advanced into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in northeastern Minnesota." Officials ordered about 100 people to evacuate and properites up to 33 million dollars were in danger.

This article was informative and also detailed. Twin Cities.com did a good job with using credible sources and referring to them a numerous amount of times.
I think that the reporter was challenged with choosing the relevant details.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/evacuation050607.htm

A smiliar story was written by the Online Journal from Daytona Beach.

"Nearly an inch of rain Sunday afternoon gave firefighters battling the Flagler County wildfire a break and postponed the need to evacuate residents - at least temporarily, officials said."
-FIrefighters are used in both stories as the main focal point of solution.
-The reporter struggled with finding relevant quotes for the story.

I think that the Twincities.com did a better job of giving more detail of the story. They also did a better job of story-telling. The news journal online was a lot more brief, but the main story of the article came across.

Transportaion

http://www.wctrib.com/articles/index.cfm?id=19726§ion=opinion

"Throughout Minnesota, we have transportation needs that no longer can be ignored. Continuing to look at them with a “blind eye? will not make traffic congestion in the Twin Cities or unsafe highways in greater Minnesota." disappear. According to the Tribune Online, means of expanding transportation has been put on hold due to "political shortsightedness." There is a unwillingnss to invest in upgrading dangerous rural roads and this is causng major problems for the state of Minnesota.

*This story was very informative and it used a lot of great sources.
*The author was challeged with choosing the relevant details for the story. There was a lot of details that she could have used but she just picked out the information that she thought would be relevant to the story.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/node/4585

"As part of the Urban Partnership Agreement, the Minnesota Department of Transportation applied for a $700 million federal transportation grant that would create a high occupancy toll lane on 35W. Busses, carpoolers and motorcycles could use the lane for free, but solo drivers would pay to use the lane." This solo lane only makes dealing with traffic a lot more difficult. There needs to be a soloution to the traffic problem in Minnesota.

*This article was also challenged with picking out and using important information.
*The first article that was done by the Tribune Online was a lot more detailed and informative. I also found it a lot easier to read.

"Brew" T-shirts...stopped

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=252223

"Brews Crew" was the slogan that was placed on a maroon and gold t-shirt, that was designed to raise money for the athletic prgram. "The slogan on the front of the shirt is a play on the name of new football coach Tim Brewster, according to the shirt's producers. The words surround a football with the letter "M" on it" The prodcution of the t-shirt has now stopped, since the U. of M athletic program thinks the shirt is to related to alchohol. "Brew" may also be a slang word for beer. The Goal Line Club, printed the shirts and sold them at the spring game scrimage. The money when to the athletic program.

"We think that the word 'Brew' has a direct tie to alcohol," said Tom Wistrcill, associate athletics director. "We don't think it's in our best interest -- for the athletic department and the university - to associate ourselves with that inference to alcohol."

Pros: This story is brief but informative. The direct quotes make the story very believable.
Challenge: Getting direct quotes from the Goal LIne Club must hae beeen a challenge.

http://wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=6422548

A similar story was written by wkbt in Wisconsin. This story was even shorter than the article written by Kare11. In fact, it is basically a short summary of the story. There are no deails at all.

Challenge: I think that the reporter was challenged with adding "life" to the story. There is no personality in the writing.
--Kare11 did a better job of gathering quotes and sources. Kare11 did a much stronger version of this story.

Steaks for thanks

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1120229.ht

John Mancini has been in the middle east for a week, to help organize a steak dinner for the National troops that are coming home from Iraq. Hi brother Pat is in St. Paul working working on another steak dinner in honor of the troops here in the cities. Thanks to the help of Pat Hariss, Dave Cossetta, Dan O'Gara and John Tinucci, the Mancini brothers helped to arrange 11,550 12 ounce steaks to Iraq. Thanks to the Mancini brothers, 5,000 steaks will be served to the famalies during the duration of the troops dinner. Family members will be able to contact family members throught satellite.

Pros: First off, this is one of my favorite stories. I think it is a really great idea, and I love that family members get to be invovled to. I think the reporter, Joe Kimball, did a great job of story-telling. He also did a great job of adding statistics that were relevant to the story.
Challenge: He must have been challenged with his story-telling voice. This is a light hearted story that would be easy to narrate, and sometimes telling hard facts can be difficult.

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_5674852

This story is set up a lot differently than the first story.
Pros:This story used quotes. I thought that this was something great to add, since the first article did not do this. In fact, most of the article highlights the emotions of the people who were volunteering.
Challenge: I think Jason Hoppin struggled with quote selection along with detail. This article is very detailed an dit has a lot of information in it. I think Hoppin was challenged with cutting out information that was relevant.

Gopher football team plays, while 3 players are jailed

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=2876566&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

On Saturday, the Gopher football team played against eachother during tyhe Spring game. Tim Brewster, the new head coach, was praised greatly after running around the field waving to fans. But things are not looking to good for some Gopher players. Alex Daniels, E.J Jones, and Keith Massey, were taken into custody on Friday night after a 18-year-old woman told police that she was raped. Three times as many fans showed up for this Spring game this year in comparison to last year. The allegation that are being held on the three players is being looked in to.
"Obviously it's a disappointing situation that's been presented to me," Brewster said. "There's an investigation that's ongoing that we're going to cooperate fully with, and we're going to support these three young men, absolutely."

--Challenges/negatives: I would have liked to see more details on the 3 players getting arrested. A lot of the focus was on Brewster.
--Positives: There are some great quotes in this article.

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070331/SPORTS/703310304/1004/SPORTS

LSU women's baskebtall coach Phokey Chapman came out as being homosexual. This article talks about the sports world accepting homosexuals slowly and it also talks about rumors of gay players on the LSU woman's team.
--Challenges/negatives: Where are the quotes from Pokey herself?
--Postives: Lead sentence is catchy.

Gopher Hockey= No Frozen Four

We just can not seem to get a break on Minnesota sports. Gopher hockey lost tonight 3-2 against North Dakota in the NCAA west regional. "For the game, North Dakota out-shot the Golden Gophers 36-29, while both teams went 1-for-5 on the power play." I guess the Gophers will not be participating in the Frozen Four after all. Sad but true.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=833471

WCCO.com wrote a similar story.

Repoters struggled with emphasizing the positivity of the Gopher hockey season, but both stories were informative.

http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_083234002.html

Thank Goodness for Tubby Smith

The Minnesota basketball team now has a new coach, Tubby Smith. I was lucky enough to cheer at the press conference, where Smith spoke infront of the press, students, the Gopher basketball team, and local reporters.
"This is what it's all about," Smith said Friday after being introduced as the new coach at Minnesota. "I feel the love already." Smith has won won a national championship, five SEC titles, five SEC tournament titles and 76 percent of his games at Kentucky. "It is the best thing that ever happened to us," said Gopher basketball member, Travis Burch. Things may look up for the Gopher next spring.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070324/NEWS/703240359/-1/State

I loved reading this article, because I heard the specific quotes that came from Smith. He seemed like he was excited, and this article had a great story-telling voice.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/03/23/smithnewsconf/

Minnesota public radio wrote a similar story which was much more brief. The writer of this story did a great job with balancing quotes and background information on Smith.

I think that getting statsitics and background info on Smith was difficult to obtain for the reports of these stories.

Sudden Death

Cody Nelson, and 20 year old sophmore from Stout University, died on Sunday morning. Nelson was on spring break, the week previous, and he had no feelings of sickness. Saturday night, Nelson started to get a bad headache and started vomiting. Sadly enough, he ended up in the hospital. His liver ended up failing, and his brain started to swell. Nelson passed awas Sunday morning. Doctors still do not know the reason behind his death. Shannon Perry, his girlfriend and one of my very good friends, is shocked beyond belief. The funeral for Nelson will be held on Saturday. "I can just feel him around me everywhere. Its strange," said Perry. We will all miss Nelson.

This story was covered on Kare 11, however, I knew Cody personally, although not very well. Stories like these are always sad. He was a perfectly healthy young guy, just trying to live life. Now, doctors do not know why he is gone.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/11346435/detail.html

A similar story occured in Pittsburgh. Meningitis was suspected in the death of a college student from the University of Peensylvania. Still, docotors do not know that actual reason for death.

As stated before, stories like these are always sad. I think that the writers of both stories did a great job of not editorilizing. Also, I think that the writers were challenged, because there are not a lot of details on the reasons for deaths.

Minnesota helps LIberian community

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/news/nation/16793433.htm

At least million Liberians have fled their country, in result of; rape, violence, muderer, and torture. Interesting enough, Liberians are coming here. Minnesota has one of the largest Liberian communites, outside of Africa, and Minnesota Advocates of Human Rights, are trying to help the Liberian community. last month, in February, members of this group started to take statements from Liberians, in effort to learn more about the Liberian culture and lifestyle. Cleo Harris, a native of Liberia, told her scary story, about living like in LIberia.

This story is wonderful. Although it focuses mostly on Harris, it is a great relfection of what the Liberian community is all about. I think it is very interesting that Liberians are coming here. Minnesota isn't the most popular state of the United States. Its very intriguing to me. The Herald did well wiht the story. Choosing which quotes to take from Harris, must have been a difficult task.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/nation/16793478.htm

Bellevillenewsdemocrat.com did a similar story. Although Harri's story was the focus of the article, the author stressed how the Liberian community has a major refugee status placed upon them. Harris' story is interesting. Read it!

Once again, I love this story. I have noticed over the past year, that the LIberian community is so big. I have even met a lot of students who are Liberian, and I did not realize that there was a large community here in Minnesota.

Winter months= Car theft

In The Minnesota Daily, Kevin Behr, writes a interesting story titled "Idle at your own risk."

MInnesota police statistics say that car theft jump up in the colder winter months. Many people like to leave their cars on oustide, in effort to make them warm up. Others may leave their engines on, while jumping out of the car to grab something forgotten in their homes. "This is a great idea for comfort's sake, but beware: Not only is a driverless idling car a thief's dream come true, it might also land the owner a ticket," says Behr. Crime prevention specialist, Carol Oosterhuis, says that out of 1,100 cars stolen in the past two years, has been during the winter months. Ossterhuis recommends certain tips for prevention of auto left; park in well-lit areas, lock doors at all times, and purchase a steering wheel lock.

The Minnesota Daily used a strong title to grab my attention. A strong lead was also used in this article. I think that the author did a good job of obtaining strong sources and opinions for this article. For instance, Carol Oosterhuis and the Minneapolis police, had helpful information to give to this story.

On Feb 27, 2006, the Oakland Tribune wrote a similar article. Like The Minnesota Daily, this article also had a very strong and attention-grabbing lead. In this article however, a boy was shot ad killed, in effort to save a friend's car from getting stolen. Obviously, there is more drama and a bigger sense of seriousness in this story. Unlike the Minnesota Daily, there was not a murder. However, I think that the Minnesota Daily did a great job with informing the public about prevention to auto theft. In addition, Behr comments on what might happen, if these prevention tips aren't taken seriously. Both stories surrounded the same topic, but focuses on different aspects.

This story was very helpful and informative.

Apartment WOES

U of M students are getting tired of buying expensive apartments. In addition, they are tired of buying expensive apartments, that are not worth the price. In result, the Minnesota Student Association sponosred the Renter's Survey. This is a online form for students to detail their current living situation, and it is a great way for students to give props to great apartments and make warn future-apartment seekers about bad apartments. You can find the results on Renter's Guide in February. The writer of this article, really did a great job with balancing the personal opinions that came from the survey, and the general information, that came from the Renter's Survey. The Onion, had a similar article written in their paper. And instead of balancing the opinion's of renters with general information about the Renter's Survey, The Onion focused more on the personal opinions of students and emphasized there feeligns by using many quotes. This source did a great job of communicating, and I really enjoyed the article!

Gopher Basketball team= NO LUCK

Its been a tough opening season for the Golden Gopher basketball team. On Wednesday, the team lost their fifth straight game, while playing the Michigan State Spartans. Sources say that the team is struggling with playing strategies, due to the absence of thier former head coach. "I feel like Presedint Bush trying to explain Iraq. I think the reality of it is, I try to keep them going. I try to get little victories," said Jim Molinari, interim coach.
The editor might have been challenged with focusing on choosing relevant quoations to put into this article. There are many quotes that are used, and I think that he might have been challenged by figuring out where quotes should be appropiatley used, to enhance the story. Hearing the voices of the players, makes the story real. The editor did a great job of grabbing my attention. I was very interesting and intrigued by the reading, and by backing up the article wtih facts, made me trust the article. I love to read about sports, and I really love to read about them when things are interesting.

Continue reading "Gopher Basketball team= NO LUCK" »