« NRCC smear backfires | Main | Another blatantly dishonest NRCC smear »

Bachmann campaign manager Parrish proposed a "womb tax" to curb abortion; wrote that "life for the left begins at taxation"

You can tell a lot about a person by the people they associate themselves with.

In the case of Michele Bachmann, we can tell a lot about her by the person she hired to run her campaign, Andy Parrish. Through the immense help of a source at UW-River Falls, Parrish's alma mater, I have obtained a stack of materials pertaining to Parrish's days on campus, which were filled with controversy, to say the least.

I will be writing about Parrish more in the upcoming weeks. Suffice it to say that there's enough here to keep me entertained for a looooong time.

Parrish wrote columns for the UWRF student newspaper, The Student Voice, for at least the 2003-2004 school year. Unfortunately, the newspaper's online archive only dates to October, 2004, but I have photocopies of some of his columns from the newspaper archives at River Falls. Once I get access to a scanner, I will post images of the columns so that you can all enjoy them as much as I have. The following are excerpts from a column Parrish wrote on November 21st, 2003, entitled "Left might think right with womb tax."

I have come to the conclusion that, for [liberals] life does not begin at conception, life for the left begins at taxation... Since liberals believe that life does not begin until they can tax you, I thought it my duty to educate [them.]

Parrish then proceeds to give readers advice on how to "be your own abortionist" (direct quote) and gives an extremely graphic description of a home abortion. (Isn't this an argument for legal and safe abortions?) He then continues,

Some people argue that this new partial birth abortion ban takes away their right to play God and choose who lives and dies based on convenience. I have this to say to the anti-life crowd. I am not taking away anyone's choice over their own reproductive life. They already chose when they engaged in sexual intercourse. Here is my solution to this life debacle.

If we tax the baby--we'll say property tax--for occupying the mother's womb, the left will fight to keep the baby alive instead of fighting to abort it. Then they can receive more money for-we'll say education beacuse there isn't enough spent there already--then maybe, just maybe, the left would acknowledge the fact that this fetus is more than just a fetus: It is a human life.

If you still want to try partial birth abortions on your own, happy abortioning. Support our troops, support our president and have a great conservative day.

His trademark is ending every column with the "have a great conservative day" line.

I also have a page of letters to the editor criticizing Parrish's insensitive, inaccurate, and inflammatory column. I will quote one of the letters:

This article is more of a shallow attack and a cheap attempt to demonize liberals at the expense of a valid issue. Your points about taxing the baby to get liberal support are about as dumb as saying [R]epublicans would support it if they got a tax break... When given a chance to provide a piece on why we need to deal with these issues, Andy chose instead rhetoric and baseless attacks. Talking about what type of limits for the life and health of the mother would have been a far better issue.

Hmm... rhetoric and baseless attacks rather than an attempt to deal with the issues? That description also fits Andy's boss, Michele Bachmann, to a T.

So, where does Michele Bachmann stand on the "womb tax" that her campaign manager proposed less than three years ago?

Keep checking back for more Andy Parrish Antics.

My brother went to UW-River Falls and is familiar with this Parrish guy. On a number of occassions he saw him not putting his trash in the proper recycling barrel when leaving the lunchroom. I am concerned about the environment and demand to know, where does Bachman stand on recycling? Also it has come to my attention that one of Bachman's workers is a Packer fan, I think we Minnesota voters have a right to know, is Bachman a Viking fan?