« Wetterling's polls have her up 2-3 points? | Main | Wetterling receives LCV endorsement »

Wetterling, Edwards rally for education

John Edwards was at my former high school yesterday for a Patty Wetterling campaign rally. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any pictures. If you were there, please send me some!

Edwards joins Wetterling in rally for Minnesota's public schools

ANOKA, Minn. – Former Sen. John Edwards joined 6 th District congressional candidate Patty Wetterling today at Stillwater Area High School for a rally in support of public education. Flanked by local leaders, teachers and students, Wetterling laid out key principles that should drive our government investment in public education.

"Public education is the cornerstone of our democracy," said Wetterling. "We need more people in Congress who know education – as a mom and a former teacher I know the importance of strong schools and I know that our future depends on our investment in our children."

Wetterling stated that we must provide the resources schools need to meet national mandates in No Child Left Behind, increase emphasis on math and science to prepare students for the next generation of jobs, and decrease class sizes so that kids can get the individual attention they need to reach their full potential.

"I want to work with superintendents, school boards, teachers and parents to make significant, common-sense changes to this law to make sure our focus is on our children's success – not a testing company's profits."

Wetterling has made increasing educational opportunities a cornerstone of her campaign. A former teacher, she has seen first hand the needs of our students and the failings of our government to meet those needs.

"Education is the most important investment we can make in our future. If we don't educate our kids – we have no future. When I am in Congress I will put our children first."

Edwards emphasized support for our public schools, teachers and students, and echoed Wetterling's hope for public education: "We have got to make a commitment as a nation that every child in America, no matter where they live, what the color of their skin or the income of their family, will get exactly the same education as the richest parents in America can afford for their children."

I heard that my former U.S history teacher introduced the candidates.

Sam saw Johnny E. at Forest Lake the other day.

Amazing that Wetterling is silent on Bachmann's close connections with the Alliance for the Separation of School and State (ASSS). Is there any more visible proof that Bachmann is no friend of public education than the $50,000 she has taken from ASSS supporters?