« Bachmann's sweet tooth | Main | Stay the course? »

Quote of the day

"Dobson and his gang of thugs are real nasty bullies. I pray devoutly every day, but being a Christian is no excuse for being stupid. There is a high demagoguery coefficient to issues like prayer in schools... These issues are intellectually lazy and can appeal to a large demographic."

Who could have said such a thing? It must have been a High Tax Liberal Politician We Can't Trust. No? Perhaps an anti-Christian bigot? Guess again, it's former Republican House Majority Leader Dick Armey, quoted in Ryan Sager's book The Elephant in the Room. NYTimes today has an article about the "blame game" between Republicans over their upcoming losses in November.

Apparently Armey has sparred with Dobson in the past:

According to Armey, he also sparred with Focus on the Family leader James Dobson while in office. Armey wrote, "As Majority Leader, I remember vividly a meeting with the House leadership where Dobson scolded us for having failed to 'deliver' for Christian conservatives, that we owed our majority to him, and that he had the power to take our jobs back. This offended me, and I told him so." Armey claims that Focus on the Family targeted him politically after the incident, writing, "... Focus on the Family deliberately perpetuates the lie that I am a consultant to the ACLU."

Dobson is correct in the second quote. That fringe is needed by the core GOP to win. Without it, they lose. With it they win then throw them judges one at a time to satiate the hunger. Only if the core GOP would soften stances to recruit uncommitted centrist voters, would that wing of the party be unneeded. They have so far refused to soften deals for the wealthy to get a broader secular base.

Now the beast is becoming too restive, however.

Bachmann removed not a liberal DFL'er from office, but Gary Ladig.

So, go figure.

Dragon slayers are needed, and this dragon will blow heat and spend all the bucks raised to stay alive and mean.

Witness the little pastor of Brooklyn Park, and one of the more recent acts he scheduled for his theater, as videotaped by Avidor.

I can see Bachmann's presentation there as one of three things, and three things only. Delusional, blasphemous, or true.

You can only infer which, in your own heart and mind.

True? I rule that one out categorically. I deny it, as a matter of my beliefs.

Did it look too, too, too polished and rehearsed a performance to anyone else, when watching the video?