Walter Joe O'Rourke

There are certain people you just admire and want to meet. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Walter Joe O'Rourke of New Jersey.

From the NYT:

There are train buffs, and there are train buffs - and then there is Walter O'Rourke.

On a recent evening in Pennsylvania Station, Mr. O'Rourke, a New Jersey Transit conductor, opened the doors to his train, and a river of elbows and briefcases, knapsacks and newspapers rushed in.

His gendarme cap crooked, his glasses bobbing off his nose, Mr. O'Rourke smiled and said, "There's no place else I'd rather be."

He wasn't kidding.

In fact, there are plenty of other places Mr. O'Rourke, 65, could have been. He could have been at his log cabin in Townsend, Del., which sits on 140 acres. He could have been in one of his two Florida homes, or at his insurance company there.

Heck, Mr. O'Rourke could have been off running his own railroad, the one he owns in West Virginia. But there he was, a millionaire from business, real estate and insurance investments, punching tickets on a suburban train full of tired faces, bouncing from shoulder to shoulder like a pinball.

No place else he'd rather be.

"I don't need the money," Mr. O'Rourke explained. "I need the job."

[...]

"I realize that some people, especially some of my co-workers, might see me as a strange duck," Mr. O'Rourke said, feeding his new engine a drop of oil. "But where does it say that a man can't love what he does for a living?"

What a great man. Read the whole article. Maybe you'll learn something!

Posted by smit2174 at April 14, 2005 12:13 AM