Surreal moment

One band I have adored for quite a while is the Icelandic band Sigur Ros. I got into them because I heard that they sounded like Radiohead. I have kind of grown tired of Radiohead, but I still love Sigur Ros. Their music is great because it is so emotionally and musically satisfying, and, since I don't speak Icelandic, unencumbered by the meanings of the lyrics.

Anyway, I just had an experience that proves that an event doesn't have to be big or important or life-affirming/-altering to be surreal. I was listening to the new Sigur Ros single, called "Saeglopur" from their album (which comes out in ONE WEEK!) Takk, while simultaneously reading articles about and looking at the pictures from the horrific disaster in New Orleans. The combination of the words, images, and music produced a wave of emotion that can only be described as surreal. I was at once saddened by the vast tragedy of it all, brimming with rage that much of this destruction was totally preventable, and yet, strangely, filled with hope that everything will someday get put back together. I suddenly seemed to understand the song completely, though I didn't understand a word.

Posted by smit2174 at September 5, 2005 9:05 PM