A sad day...

One of my high school classmates, Pat Kycia, drowned last weekend in the Red River in Moorhead. I didn't know him too well, but he was a friend of a friend. I feel so bad for everyone who knew Pat, especially his closest friends and family. My sympathies go out to them.

From the Pioneer Press (registration required)...

MOORHEAD, Minn. - A body found Tuesday in the Red River was believed to be that of a missing Minnesota State University Moorhead student.

Patrick Kycia, 19, of Stillwater, had been seen last in the early-morning hours on Friday at a fraternity party.

There were no obvious signs of trauma, police Lt. Bob Larson said. The body was to be taken to Ramsey County for identification, but the clothing, physical description and items found in the man's pockets led police to believe it was Kycia.

One of Kycia's friends, Ricky Sayarath, said Kycia drank a lot of whiskey at a Phi Sigma Kappa house party.

"Guys just kept giving him shots," said Sayarath, who was at the party. "He must have been pretty drunk."

Kycia's wallet - with cash and bank cards still in it - was found about three blocks south of the fraternity house. Police said Monday night that a shoe found in the Red River matches a description of the shoes Kycia was wearing when he went missing.

[...]

Just very sad, all around. Police say they don't suspect foul play, and, while I don't know the details of the investigation, this kind of thing seems to happen all too often: college students drowning on river campuses, usually after parties. I hope this doesn't seem insensitive, because I feel really bad for him, but hopefully this is a wake-up call for people that they need to keep themselves safe, especially when there is alcohol involved.

Posted by smit2174 at September 27, 2005 11:58 AM