Five fave flicks for oh-five... fee fi fo fum

Welp, the year is almost ovum, and it's time for a slate of unoriginal list posts. This first one will be dedicated to films I thought were good. I don't have any specific ideas as to what makes a "good" film... but I know it when I see it. OK, here goes...

The Life Aquatic: I know a lot of people hated this, or "didn't get it." I thought it was great. Also, this is the first movie Melissa and I ever went to see together (that was my second time seeing it.) I think she's great, too.
update: Well, IMDB lists this as coming out in 2004, but I remember seeing it in 2005. So it stays.

The Constant Gardener: I recall seeing two "political thrillers" this year (the other was the pretty-good-but-not-great Syriana.) This was the superior film. Not only does its political message resonate, it is emotional, suspenseful, well-paced, exquisitely acted, and beautifully shot.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I don't get the people who hated this because it wasn't the original. So what? Why can't you like both? I'm not a huge Johnny Depp fan, but he strikes the right chord as a childish, creepy Willy Wonka. There are some great lines ("That's called cannibalism, and it's frowned upon in most human societies"), and the musical numbers are hilarious. Overall there was not a better way to spend... ummm... 115 minutes this year.

The Aristocrats: Disgusting, obscene, vulgar, nearly vomit-inducing at times. Also, pretty effing hilarious at most times. It's not the joke, it's how you tell it.

Cinderella Man: Overall, I guess I'd have to say this is the best 2005 movie I've seen so far. Sure, it's a cliched story. We've seen this plot over and over again. But there's something to be said for a movie that takes a familiar story and tells it better than it's ever been done before, with beautiful cinematography and stellar acting from Zellweger, Crowe, and Giamatti. This movie really didn't deserve to flop at the box office. Please, I beg of you, rent it on DVD... before it's too late...

Other movies I enjoyed: the new Wallace and Gromit, Syriana, the 4th Harry Potter, Jarhead, Kingdom of Heaven. I also enjoyed Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, though they weren't as great as everyone claimed.

Movies I still must see: Munich (!); King Kong (for some reason, I'm not as psyched for this as I probably should be, but I still want to see it); A History of Violence; Broken Flowers; Good Night, and Good Luck; Capote; Brokeback Mountain; that Sarah Silverman movie (Jesus is Magic). And there's probably more that I forgot, as well. Can you blame me? It's 2:30 AM and I've had less than 15 hours of sleep in the past three nights. And with that, I must retire...

Posted by smit2174 at December 18, 2005 2:07 AM