Caucus stuff

Sorry this is a couple days late...

First things first: I am officially a delegate to the SD-59 convention March 25th. Let the bidding for my vote begin... j/k. It's not for sale. You can try to convince me if you want, though.

The caucus was pretty fun. In my precinct (2-9) there were maybe 35 people there (a few came, filled out the straw poll, and left.) It was mostly college students, or maybe just out of college, and senior citizens. There were 27 delegate slots for our precinct (must be a big precinct, but it's mostly students, and you know they don't show up) but only 19 of us wanted to be delegates, so there wasn't even a vote. We passed some resolutions on healthcare, the DREAM act, GM wild rice, Instant Runoff Voting, and putting the proposed University Avenue light rail underground or above street level so it wouldn't cause traffic problems.

Then we got the straw poll results back. I was pleasantly surprised: in my precinct at least, Steve Kelley got about 2x the votes of anyone else; Mike Hatch got only 3. Ford Bell actually beat Amy Klobuchar 15-10-(a few undecided.) Mark Ritchie beat Christian Sande by a few votes, and Rebecca Otto was the clear choice for auditor. Unfortunately, the straw poll didn't cover congressional districts, but delegates get to vote on that at the district convention. (I'm still undecided, but I'm seriously leaning towards Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer. He seems like a pretty nice guy.)

Posted by smit2174 at March 9, 2006 5:32 PM