I wish...

I got an email from Amazon today...

As someone who has recently purchased literary classics, you might like to know that the Penguin Classics Library is now available in one complete collection--only at Amazon.com. "The Penguin Classics Library Complete Collection"

List Price: $13,317.74
Our Price: $7,989.99
You Save: $5,327.75 (40%)

Dang, if I had $8,000 lying around, I'd definitely go for it. But where would I keep it? You'd need a pretty big bookshelf:

From Edwin A. Abbott to Emile Zola, the 1,082 titles in the Penguin Classics Complete Library total nearly half a million pages--laid end to end they would hit the 52-mile mark. Approximately 700 pounds in weight, the titles would tower 828 feet if you stacked them atop each other--almost as tall as the Empire State Building.

Whoa. Someday, someday.

But what's up with the shipping? When I place it in my cart:

Order Summary Items: $7,989.99 Shipping & Handling: $3.99 Total Before Tax: $7,993.98 Estimated Tax: $0.00 Order Total: $7,993.98

$3.99? That's gotta be the best deal on shipping in the history of e-commerce.

Save "Sesame Street"!!!

I got an email from MoveOn today:

A House panel has voted to eliminate all public funding for NPR and PBS, starting with "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," and other commercial-free children's shows. If approved, this would be the most severe cut in the history of public broadcasting, threatening to pull the plug on Big Bird, Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch. [...]

The cuts would slash 25% of the federal funding this year—$100 million—and end funding altogether within two years. In particular, the loss could kill beloved children's shows like "Sesame Street," "Clifford the Big Red Dog," "Arthur" and "Postcards from Buster." Rural stations and those serving low-income communities might not survive. Other stations would have to increase corporate sponsorships.

This shameful vote is only the latest partisan assault on public TV and radio. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which exists to shield public TV and radio from political pressure, is now chaired by Kenneth Tomlinson, a staunch Republican close to the White House. Tomlinson has already forced one-sided conservative programs on the air, even though Tomlinson's own surveys show that most people consider NPR "fair and balanced" and they actually trust public broadcasting more than commercial network news.

Tomlinson also spent taxpayer dollars on a witch hunt to root out "liberal bias," including a secret investigation of Bill Moyers and PBS' popular investigative show, "NOW." Even though the public paid for the investigation, Tomlinson has refused to release the findings.

The lawmakers who proposed the cuts aren't just trying to save money in the budget—they're trying to decimate any news outlets who question those in power. This is an ideological attack on our free press.

Talk about bad timing. Every day brings another story about media consolidation. Radio, TV stations and newspapers are increasingly controlled by a few massive corporate conglomerates trying to maximize profits at the expense of quality journalism. Now more than ever, we need publicly funded media who will ask hard questions and focus on stories that affect real people, instead of Michael Jackson and the runaway bride.

As the House and Senate consider this frightening effort to kill public broadcasting, they need to hear from its owners—you.

[Emphasis mine: right on!]

Sign the petition! Help save the great programs of our youth: "Sesame Street," "Clifford," "Arthur," "Reading Rainbow," "Wishbone," "Ghostwriter," and, of course, my favorite: "Square One" (does anyone else remember this show? the math show? where they did the segment called MathNet, a math-themed parody of Dragnet?)

Posted by smit2174 at 12:48 PM

Summer tunes

Hey, I know I haven't blogged in a while... I've been busy! Wait, no I haven't. Oh well. Just haven't had the motivation. Actually I think it's because I don't sit at the computer all day. Probably when school starts I'll be back in the swing of things.

Here's a good lil' Rhapsody mix I made for ya. Enjoy.
----------------------------------
Hi,

Check out this playlist I made using Rhapsody:

June 14 2005
"Holland, 1945" - Neutral Milk Hotel
"I Predict A Riot" - Kaiser Chiefs
"Roxanne" - The Police
"Black And White Town" - Doves
"The Angels' Share" - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
"Red Rain" - The White Stripes
"Sloop John B" - The Beach Boys
"Little Bombs" - Aimee Mann
"St. Ides Heaven" - Elliott Smith
"Late" - Ben Folds
"Chocolate" - Snow Patrol
"Slide Away" - Oasis
"July Jones" - The New Pornographers
"A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
"Way To Blue" - Nick Drake
"Broken Drum" - Beck

Download file

If you have Rhapsody, just click it and it should work... I hope.

Posted by smit2174 at 12:39 PM