New blogging adventures

Hello, faithful readers,

I sincerely apologize for the lack of bloggage these last few months. This semester was crazy busy, but now it's summer. And with summer comes the possibility for new adventures. Thus, this post will serve as the announcement of my return to semi-regular blogging, at new digs I call...

Wetterling v. Bachmann

Check it out! If anyone is interested in helping, please contact me, either through the comments or (this option is probably better) email-- it should be listed at upper right.

Posted by smit2174 at 9:26 PM

Sometimes, the pressure just gets to you...

Briefly...
This is probably the funniest thing I've ever read at DKOS:

Fortunately, the Catholic school across the street was letting out for recess and out of sheer habit, I started to expose myself, only just stopping myself in the nick of time out of fear I might upset the little dears, since I wasn't wearing my priest outfit, so I just said something creepy and kept on walking.

When I realized how close I'd come to committing a serious faux pas, I lit up a cigarette and threw the empty pack on the sidewalk. For some reason, this simple act of blatant littering put everything into focus. Normally, I think nothing of it. But I realized, I now represent the left-wing blogosphere, and I must set an example...!

Hilarious, if a little inappropriate.

Posted by smit2174 at 7:53 PM

We get trackbacks

You know those blogs that have a lame "testimonials" section, either at the top of the main page (see figure 1.1, above... P.S. You suck, Hugh Hewitt) or on a separate link? Well, now that a plain picture is famous (and rightly so... j/k), I could put up a little testimonial of my own:

This dude is so right.
-jedmunds, of Pandagon (!!!) fame (referring to my previous post declaring them "Wankers of the Day")

You know, taken out of context, it doesn't sound half bad.

All joking aside, the folks at Pandagon are far from "wankers" and I have nothing but respect for their blog. Except for when they dis Oasis.

Posted by smit2174 at 1:24 AM

Technical difficulties.

Yes, the site looks a little different and a lot crappier. Sorry. I've been fiddling around with the templates, something I probably shouldn't have done. I don't have the time right now to get it back to where it was, so I will just leave it as is for now. I promise a redesign is coming soon. Sometime after finals, or after winter break, or... well... sometime before the Apocalypse. I promise.

Check out my stylesheet test blog to see what features I'm testing out.

Posted by smit2174 at 1:52 AM

MN Daily article on MSA elections

I thought this article was pretty interesting. It's about how blogs and facebook groups are having an input on the debates leading up to the election for MSA President.

As the 2005 Minnesota Student Association presidential campaign heats up, technology is playing a greater role than ever before, candidates said.

MSA leaders and candidates said they keep updated on campaign news through several Web logs, known as blogs. Meanwhile, supporters of each campaign communicate through thefacebook.com, an online social network. Campaign Web sites also feature candidates’ biographies and stances.

MSA Forum member Aaron Solem, who writes one of the two blogs MSA candidates frequently visit, said technology has already affected this election cycle.

“We’re seeing candidates scrutinized much more often,” he said. “We’re seeing a freer, more open debate of ideas.”

Now, I think MSA sounds pretty boring, so I decided not to run even though I was encouraged to, and in fact nearly guaranteed to win. (Because of the all-powerful UDFL endorsement, not because of any divine charisma or great political prowess. In fact, I think I would be a pretty crappy student government member.) But I applaud those who sacrifice their time and mental capabilities to (hopefully) solve some of the problems the U is facing.

Posted by smit2174 at 11:37 AM

I'm baaaaack, for the third or fourth time

Yep. I know I haven't blogged in a while. GET OVER IT.

For Melissa, as well as others, but mostly for Melissa, here is some relevant poetry in the form of rap. Names have been changed to protect the innocent massage my ego. ;)

Dear [Pat], you still ain't called or wrote, I hope you have a chance. I ain't mad-- I just think it's f***ed up you don't answer fans.
--Eminem, "Stan"

Well, jeez, sorry. I try. Please don't get drunk and drive off a bridge with your pregnant girlfriend locked in the trunk just because I don't blog enough.

More entries to follow shortly. Gotta go get my laundry first.

Posted by smit2174 at 10:20 PM

Fixed the banner!/Sports stuff/MT stuff

Thank you, Shane of Greet Machine for giving me the secret MT code to fix the banner. In gratitude, I link to your blog. They've got some great stuff over there! As someone who hasn't had a lot of time to pay much attention to sports lately (well, I did watch the Super Bowl... and I went to all the Gopher Football games... and one basketball game... and quite a few Twins games. But other than that.) it is great to see such a comprehensive site about local sports issues.

The idea about the state buying the Twins and building a stadium is a great idea, if we can come up with the money. I would not support public funding for a stadium to make billionaire owners even richer, unless the state was getting something out of the deal-- such as a three-time AL Central Division championship team. If you are interested in stadium financing issues, be sure to check it out.

And, after the Men's Basketball team beat Wisconsin on Saturday, we are dominating that inferior university 185-75 in the "Border Battle Cup," which shows that despite our underachieving football team, the U is actually doing pretty well in the athletic field.

On another note... I am absolutely clueless with this Movable Type thing. If anyone else has any tips for me, go ahead and post 'em! But remember-- I don't do programming. If you could post the code and tell me exactly what to do with it, that would be great. One thing I really want to do is add a feature that would allow me to post a "song of the day"-type thing on the sidebar as a separate entry so I wouldn't have to change the template every day. I tried to set up a "sideblog" as seen on another site, but it was too complicated, so I gave up.

Signing out.

Posted by smit2174 at 11:35 AM

Origins of the new title.

The name, "A Plain Picture," comes from an interview of Bob Dylan that is used as the ending sample in Sage Francis' "Makeshift Patriot." I can't find any details on the interview-- who is the interviewer, when was it given, what was it for. All I know from googling it is that, yes, it is Bob Dylan, and yes, Sage Francis did use it in his song. (If anyone knows anything more, could you let me know?)

These lines, also present in the new logo, are worth quoting in full.

Bob Dylan: Seriously, if I want to find out anything, I'm not going to read Time Magazine, I'm not going to read Newsweek, I'm not going to read any of these magazines. I mean, 'cause they've just got too much to lose by printing the truth! You know that.

--What kinds of truths are they omitting?

BD: Well, anything. Even on a worldwide basis. They'd just go off the stands in a day if they printed really the truth.

--What is really the truth?

BD: Well, really the truth is just a plain picture.

This blog will be a plain picture of my life and my thoughts. There will be no censorship, since I answer to nobody but myself. Entries will be extremely random, but may deal with politics, music, community, college, people, and of course, personal stuff. Please, read, and enjoy, and join the discussion if you feel like it. Also, if you feel like it, start your own! Give me the link and I will definitely read it.

Hope to see you in the future!

Posted by smit2174 at 12:07 AM

The Re-Launch

Today, the day after my birthday, February 3, 2005, I am formally relaunching this blog. Its new name is "A Plain Picture."

After several weeks of having a blog, I've noticed that I tend to post very inconsistently. I always have a lot of good (ok, decent) ideas, or things that I'd like to blatantly rip off of other blogs, but a lot of the time I lack the motivation or the time to post them. I will try to do better in this regard.

This blog's old title, "Conversations with myself," was really supposed to be a stopgap name, but until today I was too lazy and uninspired to change it. It was really a stupid name, wasn't it? I hope this new one is better. Plus I made a sweet logo to go at the top. Now I'm ready for the big time.

Posted by smit2174 at 11:15 PM