Volunteering 11/1

Most of my days at the boys and girls club have so far been quite fun, but have been a little bit of the same old, same old. But today was a little bit different. This time, I saw a little deeper into the minds of the kids. I didn't see just faces anymore, I saw feelings. I can't help but reflect on these feelings now, days after.

At the beggining, I wasn't sure if I would be excepted by these kids and whether or not they would like me or find a common ground between our differneces. Well, they like me alright, and a couple like me A LOT and will fight over me and who gets my attention. This was the first time I had had to deal with something like this. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I wanted to be fair and firm. Jamella and Demarquis wanted to play with me at the same time, but alone. They didn't want the other one near. I tried to compromise, but it wasn't good enough for either, and they continued to both battle for my attention. I didn't know what to do to stop them and to put myself in position as the adult. I want to be liked by them, but I also want to set an example of morals and how you act and treat people. By me not saying anything, told them that was okay for them to act obnoxiously. Now that I have realized my position in the situation, I look at it as a learning experience for situations like that or related to that, that might come up in the future. I am happy though that this "incedent" occured, because that is what i am volunteering for, to learn and fufill my life with that learning.

Posted by smit2227 at November 3, 2004 2:05 PM