10/18/04 volunteering

Yesterday was my second time volunteering for the boys and girls club. Today I really felt used to the site and was very comfprtable in my surroundings. As soon as I got into the building, I got a hug from Jamilla, my friend from before. That was cool. It felt good that she remembered me and was excited to see me. We played some pool, and once again, she beat me. (She's ten, I still don't know why she beats me every time!) After that, I went into the homework/computer room to see if anyone needed help. I went over and helped a little boy named Dontae. He needed to create a number story about pumpkins. This seemed very difficult for him. Across from the table, a girl named Qui Qui was doing the same exact homework and was getting it done a lot faster. It took us about 30 minutes to write a three sentence story. I feel like maybe he is a little ADD because he kept turning around to look at the computer games one of his freinds was playing. I didn't know if he just wasn't trying, or he seriously couldn't. I got a little frustrated, but soon we finished it. I really praised him for getting it finished and doing a good job. I hope that helped to tell him that if he gets his homework done, people will be proud of him. I then went over to one of the other computers where Dontae's brother, Demarquez was sitting. Now, Im not one to play favorites, but this little boy is just a doll. he reminds me of the little boy in the movie Honey. We ended up playing the whole afternoon, and when we went to play bingo, he sat on my lap. It was cool because we both got bingo at the same time and both got candy. He was pretty quiet up until then, and then all of the sudden, he was mr. talkative. It was very cute. Soon I had to leave, but I promised I would be back. Definatley a fun day, I am excited to go back!

"Hold on if you can, youre gonna sink faster than you can imagine so, it's just time to swim ashore." -Jack Johnson

Posted by smit2227 at 5:08 PM

First day of volunteering

Today was my first day of volunteering at the boys and girls club. I was a little excited, but a little nervous of course. I wore a t-shirt and cropped jeans; pretty neutral clothing choice. I arrives at the boys and girls club (Which by the way I didn't know took like 20 minutes to get to!) and I found myself in a huge cylindrical building. It looked so small on the outside, but it was huge on the inside. Very interesting. I signed in, I looked around and found the majority of kids in the center part of the building, the gynasium. They were all playing basketball and having what looked like to be a ton of fun. I liked it here already. The kids all looked at me with very welcoming eyes and were friendly when I spoke to them. I soon was assigned to help with homework, and there sat a little girl named Jamilla. She was 10, and in the fourth grade. I could tell she was a very sweet little girl. We ended up hanging out the whole afternoon; playing pool (Which by the way she is AMAZING at!), playing air hockey, and reading books. I also met a little boy named demarquiz and he was just a cutie.
All of the kids seemed very happy to be there which was cool. Eventually my 2 hours were up, and it was time to leave.

For next time I would like to bring some sort of activity/craft to do with the kids to get to know some more of the kids.

"I had a feeling that I belonged, I had a feeling I could be someone."
- Tracy Chapman

Posted by smit2227 at 11:26 PM

Pre-game

It's sunday night and I am thinking about tomorow day and what I have going on. It will be my first experience volunteering at the boys and girls club in Minneapolis and I am not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous. I do not know what's in store and what will be my job there. What I do know is that I hope I enjoy it because I have to complete 30 hours of service there! We will see.
peace,
Lily

"Do not give up...the begining is always the hardest."
(I got this fourtune at the Lotus a couple of days after I started school and now I think about it when every new situation, small or big, comes into my life.)

Posted by smit2227 at 9:01 PM