Reflection on... The Digital Divide

The last sentence of this article gave me chills, “Give them access to good technology and they will find a way—not just to assimilate it but to change their life circumstances”. Having a class webpage has always been a dream of mine, and one that I thought (and may still think) was necessary because of the increasing importance of computers. However, seeing the graphs on page 131 really brought to life how divided our society still is. I knew low-income families had limited access to technology, but I didn’t know the figures were so black and white. If society doesn’t turn this around, I don’t know if I want to perpetuate it more by making a class webpage. Putting computers with Internet access and with appropriate programs in recreation rooms, libraries, and laundry mats seems vital if we ever hope to close the class divide. I really enjoyed how this article went into details about how one could accomplish making these ideas reality. The thing that struck me the most was how giving access to everyone can especially help the homeless by helping them find “shelter, a hot shower, or even medical and counseling services”. I did my master’s project on how mainstream teachers can help homeless students more, and this is a perfect way that I didn’t come-up with.

Posted by smock003 at July 6, 2005 3:42 PM