Reflection on… Technology Learning Principles for Preservice and In-service Teacher Education

Since technology has become so vital in life, it has also become vital in education. In schools, most students know more about technology than their teachers do. This fact helps to create a community of learners, but also makes it very difficult for teachers to plan effective lessons and projects that integrate subject matter and technology to their fullest potential. This article’s goal is to help this become a reality for all teachers at all different levels (often a link that is forgotten about many times). I really liked the part in the article where it goes into trying to “connect technology learning to professional knowledge”. This section really came alive to me when the example of writers workshop came about. Another part of the article that stuck out to me was on page 351 when the article talks about how “even teachers who possess depth in their mathematics content knowledge may lack conceptual knowledge of some mathematical topics, and learning these topics with technology may lead to many ‘ah ha!’ moments” because this happened to me once during my last teaching elementary school mathematics class. This is even funnier because my license is elementary education K-6, with 5-8 science and math specialties:)

Posted by smock003 at July 7, 2005 3:21 PM