Main | Kids and poop >

The Inevitable Fall

Last Friday I was walking across the mighty Mississippi on the Washington Ave. bridge to Walter Library to get a couple of books to read. I'm always kind of amazed by walking across the Mississippi, the longest river in North America, on a daily basis but that is beside the point. While walking, Old Man Winter almost had his way with me. For those of you that live in a "wintry" area, you know what I am talking about: the inevitable fall. At least one time every winter I slip on some patch of hidden ice, fall down on the ground in spectacular fashion, and generally embarass myself immensely. And I'm a relatively tall person, 6' 5", so when I fall my gangly arms and legs go flying in all directions as I take up an entire sidewalk with my flailing body. Anyway, I was walking across the bridge when I came to a large puddle of water. Unfortunately it was so large that I decided I had to walk through it. Unbeknownst to me, the puddle featured quite possibly the slickest spot of ice underneath it that the world has ever seen. So, I hit that slippery spot, and I started to flail as I tried to catch myself. And amazingly, catch myself I did! Old Man Winter, I beat you! If I had fallen I probably would have had to go home due to the huge puddle of water I was walking through, but I didn't! So, I want the world to know that I mock winter! I'm throwing down the gauntlet and challenging winter to just try and make me fall! Because this year, it isn't going to happen!

Posted by snackeru at March 10, 2004 10:26 PM | Life