< Life of Pi | Main | Got an interesting email message >

Overall, a good first day

Overall, it was a pretty good first day for the libraries blog server. We had some people give it a try, give me some feedback, and I'm impressed with the variety of blog styles that are appearing. Take Typically Late for example. That is a unique way to post blog entries. I will definitely have to check it out in the days ahead. Hangin' in There also has an interesting first post, and I couldn't agree more. Blogs are changing the way we communicate and they are creating a new kind of online persona. Exciting stuff if you ask me, but I'm a little biased I suppose.

Bugs found on the first day... let's see. The biggest is I found out that the blog home page does not look quite right in IE on an 800x600 monitor. I know, I know, I should have learned that in webmastering 101. Believe me it really ticks me off to have missed that. I checked everything in Mozilla (Firefox, Netscape 7, etc.), IE (higher screen resolution obviously), Safari, IE for Mac, Mozilla for Mac, and more. I thought I had it all. Do'h! So, I'll be fixing that this morning. The design is totally CSS based (no tables!) so I guess I should have expected some bugs of that sort from browser to browser. Let me say though that Mozilla is much easier to design for with CSS than IE.

I only alerted about 30 people that the blog system was ready to go so that is why there are only 20 blogs so far. That didn't stop other blogs from picking up on the story though. Rawbrick.net had a nice entry about the system and also a link to a great article about library groupware. It suggests a tool that combines blogging, citation management, and link resolving all at once. I dare say we are well on our way. Also, PZ Myers at the U of M Morris wrote about the service and was a little ticked off that we seemed to be blocking his access. Enter bug number 2: he still was able to get in. But you know what? I'm kind of rethinking my strategy here. Maybe we should let the coordinate campuses in. We will be mulling that over in the days to come.

On with day number two!

UPDATE: IE on an 800x600 monitor has been fixed. I am a CSS god! (Hey, if you can't get excited about the little stuff, life just isn't as fun.)

Posted by snackeru at April 1, 2004 8:30 AM | UThink

That's not the only thing that's fixed. I noticed that you learned how to spell "library". That's gotta me embarrassing...

Posted by: Tim Ryan at April 1, 2004 10:58 AM

Almost as embarrassing as writing "me" instead of "be"... Sheesh!

Posted by: Tim Ryan at April 1, 2004 11:44 AM

I wasn't really ticked off...I was just teasing you guys out at the Big Campus.

I really shouldn't do that. You have to deal with the big city hassles of traffic and parking and all that, so I shouldn't pick on you over the little things.

Posted by: PZ Myers at April 2, 2004 6:40 AM

Well, you sounded a little miffed, but that is OK. Like I said, it made me rethink some things. Please let me know if you ever decide to use UThink for a class!

Posted by: Shane at April 2, 2004 9:00 AM