< Mike Opat responds | Main | Links of the day >

What is in a name?

Tell me, what is wrong with the name Shane? Why don't any of you like it? Hmmm? I can just hear all of you saying, "What? I like the name Shane. How can he say that I don't like it?" I'll tell you why. If you met me today, later on in the day you would say to yourself, "What was his name again? Oh yeah... Shawn." Why do people prefer the name "Shawn" to "Shane"? I get called Shawn all the time. In fact, I think it might be every day. Just yesterday, a woman I've known for 3 years called me Shawn. It is baffling to me.

Even when I was a little, impressionable kid I learned quickly how much people don't like my name. When I was about 8 I got a call from a nurse who asked me my name. I told her and she said, "Shane Adam? That is a terrible name." As an eight year old I was a little dumbstruck, but I think today I would probably give her a piece of my mind.

And you would think that it might go the other way. That people would mistakenly call someone named "Shawn" the name "Shane." But it is not the case. Every Shawn I meet I ask if anyone has ever called him Shane. I have yet to have a Shawn admit to having ever been called Shane. What is up with that? It really is humorous, but also after 31 years of life it is getting a little old. So, please everyone, try to find a little love in your heart for the name Shane. The Shawns of the world are getting a little too full of themselves.

UPDATE: Just 10 minutes ago a woman I've known for two years called me Shawn. Maybe it's just me? Am I just a forgettable person?

Posted by snackeru at April 1, 2004 10:23 PM | Life

Dear SHANE

I think your name is wonderful!

Posted by: Mom at April 2, 2004 3:25 PM

Thanks, Mom! See everyone? You've even made my mom upset! Or is Shane a name only a mother could love?

Posted by: Shane at April 2, 2004 3:27 PM

I love you too Shawn!!! I can't think of a better name for you than Shelton. You truly fit that name to a tee, Steve. If one looked up the name Scott in the dictionary, your picture would be there. Yep, Schmoopy-bear is the perfect name for you. Hang in there, Samuel, they will all come around.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 2, 2004 4:56 PM

And here I always thought your name was Snackeru.

Posted by: Fellow Librarian at July 30, 2004 1:10 PM