< We're gonna win Twins! | Main | Links of the day >

What a game!

Wow! What a great first game to the season! Shannon Stewart ... can you say enough good things about him? It doesn't get much better than a three-run walk off home run. And Joe Mauer looked solid: two walks and two singles for his first game in the big leagues. Tomorrow night I will be at the game and I expect more of the same. And it is a good thing I'll be at the game, too. It seems rumors of a deal between Victory and the cable companies is not even close to being in the works. According to Kevin Catoor, "There doesn't seem to be any urgency from the operators' standpoint to get this thing done." For more information on Victory Sports check out this great interview with Kevin Catoor on SethSpeaks.net.

And to top it all off, check out this quote from Sen. Dean Johnson (along with Larry Spooner, a big hero of mine) in the StarTribune:

As the Twins opened their season at home in the Metrodome on Monday, state Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson predicted that "it's better than 60-40 percent we're going to build a ballpark this legislative session."

Wow. When the Senate majority leader says something like that, you really have to pay attention. Next stop for the bill is the House Taxes committee and it sounds like Pawlenty is really putting his muscle behind it. You know, I was ticked off when Pawlenty was elected governor. I thought the Twins wouldn't have a chance with him at the helm. But now it appears as though he is doing the best job anybody could do reining in the Republican controlled house. According to Jim in St. Paul in a comment on my old site:

It wasn't reported in either paper, but there was an arrangement made that the stadium bill would not have to pass through the legislature's Capital Investment Committee. This committee is headed by Rep. Phil Krinke, any stadium booster's arch enemy. From my understanding Speaker Sviggum was able to convince Krinke that the stadium bill was not in the "purview" of his committee.

To take Krinke out of the picture is significant. It looks like the stadium battle could be coming to an end ... well, we better not hold our breath. For at least a day, though, it is good to be a Twins fan.

Posted by snackeru at April 5, 2004 11:29 PM | Sports business | Stadiums | Twins

Remember when everyone was upset that Kielty was traded for Stewart? It sure looks like a great move now. Typical Radke performance, who always seems to struggle in the early innings, and early in the year. And it looks like Kansas City is going to put up a fight this year. I don't trust their pitching staff, though, so I think the division is the Twins' to lose. Skol Twins!

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 6, 2004 8:37 AM

Yes indeed, Curt. Stewart was a great pick up and I'm excited to see what he can do for a whole year as a Twin. One thing I didn't mention about last night's game was the great job by the bullpen. What did they throw out there, four different relievers? And not one run. Nathan looked solid, too. Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight!

Posted by: Shane at April 6, 2004 8:40 AM

It was a great game last night! I agree on the bullpen, Shane, very well done. Romero and Nathan looked solid. Oh, and Stewart's HR was not a walk-off homer, that would be if he came off the bench to hit. I had him and Mauer on my fantasy team last night, so his homer made me jump around. I actually thought I heard you yell last night when he hit it Shane.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 6, 2004 10:03 AM

Oops, my bad, I had the wrong definition of a walk-off homer in my head. You are correct Shane. Enjoy the game tonight!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 6, 2004 10:28 AM

I am offically a baseball widow. I will not see my husband again until the season is over. Sad... I know. I will miss you Shane!

Posted by: molly at April 6, 2004 10:38 AM

Don't worry Molly. I'll let you know how he's doing. Just keep the hotdogs and crackerjacks coming!

Posted by: Tim at April 6, 2004 11:27 AM

Molly, the games aren't on TV this year! So, you can sit out on the porch with me and listen to the game. I will be a blast!

Craig, you dare try to shame me on my own blog by questioning my knowledge of baseball terminology! A pox on you!

Posted by: Shane at April 6, 2004 11:51 AM

Shane, still bitter about the joke huh? Well, I understand. Better double check on that radio on the porch, hate to have that go out on you...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 6, 2004 12:39 PM