< Gone camping | Main | What a game! >

Weekend observations

• This weekend was a blast. Alex and I had a great time on our camp out. We did some BB gun shooting, some archery, we shot beanie babies out of a sling shot, and we played a little tennis ball golf. And, most importantly, we slept in a tent! For those of you interested, I do have pictures. I tell you, the more and more we get involved with scouting, the more and more I am impressed. Cub Scouts have been wonderful for Alex, from making friends to learning some valuable lessons about helping others and doing his best. And I've gotten to know some really nice people too. If you are ever considering having your own son join scouting I would have to say go for it. After over a 100 years of working at it, they sure know what a growing boy needs and will be interested in. Alex can't get enough of it.
  • So the Twins are back on TV ... that is wonderful, of course, but I sure wish Victory Sports would have worked out. Personally, I think Twins fans are the biggest bunch of whiners in the state of Minnesota. Victory Sports would have given the Twins more money for players and possibly would have helped them to build a stadium. Now, when other teams successfully launch their own networks the Twins will move, again, further and further back in the revenue rankings. And if you think the approx. $12 million they are getting from FSN is a big deal think again. It only puts them in the middle of the pack in terms of television revenue. It just really upsets me how short sighted some Twins fans are. If not for all the whining from the fans, the pressure would have been on the cable companies. Instead, fans wrote to complain to their legislators who then put a freaking amendment in the stadium bill that basically killed Victory Sports. Most fans will say, "I just want to watch the Twins on TV. I don't care about all the greed." It is that kind of thinking that may eventually kill the Twins, too. We've got to think about the long term health of the team, and Victory would have helped that big time. The only positives I can see out of the Victory sports debacle is it demonstrated to our legislators how important the Twins are to Minnesota, and now that it is over my best buddy Curt can finally watch the Twins again. Grand Forks can be pretty boring without the Twins, right Curt?
  • Finally, I am pumped for the T-Wolves game tonight. I watched the game on Saturday and was definitely impressed with the comeback. And the Mayor, wow, did he ever have a good game. Wally who? Tonight I expect Sprewell and Cassel to just light it up. They usually play very well at ARCO arena and I expect more of the same. The start time of 9:30 may prevent me from watching the whole game, but I'm going to give it my best shot.
  • That's about it. There will be more later.

Posted by snackeru at May 10, 2004 8:49 AM | Life

Even the return of the Twins can't make Grand Forks not be boring (although it does help)!

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 10, 2004 11:26 AM

Sounds like you had a blast! Propane stoves? What's with that? Gotta teach those kids how to cook over an open fire. That's far more manly, how else will they learn how to properly barbecue?

Let me get this straight, The Twins get the same amount of $ from FSN as they would have from Victory Sports and you are whining? How can you defend your position? You kept saying that the Twins $ they got from this will help with a stadium, and they get the $ and you still aren't happy. Yes, the whole TV fiasco did not help the Twins and the stadium plan, so if you are mad about that I can understand.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 10, 2004 11:32 AM

Webelos can't have an open flame during a camp out. I'm not sure if 2nd year Webelos can, insurance costs, you know. I know Boy Scouts use a real fire so we've got that to look forward to.

The Twins would have made at least $10 million per year more with Victory Sports, and that is a conservative estimate. I've seen figures that said the Twins could have made $30 million a year if the big cable and dish companies would have signed on. I can't help but think some of this could have been used to pay off stadium debt. My total focus is getting the Twins into a new stadium and I think not having Victory Sports around is a step backwards. It may help the stadium drive in the short term, but in the long run the Twins sure could have used that money. Only time will tell.

Posted by: Shane at May 10, 2004 11:40 AM