< Yes! Finally, THE Link of the Day | Main | Action in St. Paul >

A Tribute

Denny Hocking
In a rare swing of the bat,
Denny strikes out to retire
the side

If you were watching the Twins game yesterday you probably saw Corey Koskie leave the game due to a strained sternum. Gardenhire looked down his bench and put Michael Cuddyer in at 3rd base. Now, in past seasons we didn't have the luxury of someone as strong as Cuddyer coming in for an injured player. That's right, we had Denny Hocking. Honestly, I don't know how this guy is still in the majors. My nickname for him has always been Denny "The Tree" Hocking. If you needed anything bad to happen from a game ending double play to a pop up to second base, Denny was your man. But what he was most skilled with was not swinging the bat. If you needed someone to just stand there in the batter's box, not swinging at anything unless it was behind him or bounced first before getting to the plate, Denny was (and still is for the Rockies) the guy you would turn to. Let's take a look at his statistics for Colorado this year:

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2004 23 44 4 9 1 0 0 2 3 8 0 0 .205 .255 .227 .483

Nice to see Denny hasn't lost his touch. Maybe Denny had his faults, but one thing is for sure, he gave me reason to believe that I could have played major league baseball if all it takes is just standing there at the plate waiting for "your pitch." For that I thank him.

Posted by snackeru at May 12, 2004 8:17 AM | Twins

Scary thing is, Denny was the leadoff hitter for Colorado for a while. Gotta question that leadership over there.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 12, 2004 8:50 AM

Shane: Let it go! You've been leading the anti-Denny bandwagon for far too long. While Denny was far from spectacular, he was a capable replacement at almost every position in the field. In addition, he was a great presence in the club-house, and was good for a funny quote. While his stats are far from outstanding, I still believe he is an adequate utility player. Due to injuries to other players, he simply was on the field too much during his last years with the Twins. While I would much rather see Cuddyer in there than Denny, perhaps we can let the memory of Denny rest in peace!

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 12, 2004 9:27 AM

You're right Curt, Denny was good for a quote, and he did stick it to the state legislature when the last CBA was signed. I definitely appreciated that. However, he still is a horrible baseball player that shouldn't be starting for the Quad City River Bandits let alone the Colorado Rockies. For you, though, I will lay off him for now. We may have to check in again on his statistics after the all-star break.

Posted by: Shane at May 13, 2004 8:33 AM