< Need a book to read | Main | Links of the day >

Couple of good articles

ESPN has a couple of good articles today focusing on two of my favorite sports franchises, the Twins and the Vikings. First we have an article about the Twins from Peter Gammons. Usually I find Gammons's articles to be highly unreadable, full of inappropriate quotes and song lyrics that just make his articles confusing and painful to read. I don't really mind him as a TV commentator, but as a writer he stinks (look who's talking). Anyway, his article today was more about the genius that is Terry Ryan and it hinted that he may be willing to trade away some of our young minor league talent to make a run for the World Series this year. That is great news, although who could he be talking about? Surely not Justin Morneau, but what about Restovich or even Michael Ryan? And I know Adam Johnson is finally considered expendable. I'd like to think that going to the World Series would do wonders for the Twins' stadium chances, but going to the ALCS two years ago didn't help any.

The second article comes from another baseball writer, Rob Neyer, who amazingly enough seems to be quite the fan of the Vikings. His article focuses on the most painful moments in Vikings history, and certainly brought back some not-so-good memories for me. You see, my birthday is on January 17, so almost every year around that time I get to watch the Vikings crumble. Last year was no expception. Hey Denard! The Cardinals are going to throw it in the end zone! Play some freaking defense! Anyway, Rob's list of painful moments included these fun b-days:

Neyer's article begins with a great put-down of Red Sox fans which I totally agree with. Boston fans, especially Red Sox fans, are the biggest bunch of whining prima-donnas on the planet. It's like they feel entitled to everything from a World Series to a Stanley Cup to a Super Bowl because they are "the greatest fans on Earth." Please. They give new meaning to the term "fair weather" and their accent makes my ears bleed. Learn how to speak coherently you bunch of Cro-Magnons! Next to Packer fans, I despise Red Sox fans the most. They whine and complain about Steinbrenner and the Evil Empire yet they spend almost as much and have nothing to show for it. I can't wait until baseball's divisional series this October when yet again the Red Sox are at home playing Mario Golf or whatever lame game they must play and the Twins are battling for a berth to the World Series!

And on that note, I will leave you. If I want any team to win the AL East it is the Orioles.

Posted by snackeru at May 18, 2004 1:19 PM | Sports | Twins | Vikings

Nelson did have good hands, but what depresses me about that play was that AC was wide open right behind Nelson. If he wouldn't have tried to catch the ball, the Vikes would have been in the Super Bowl!

While I was only two at the time, I still hate the Cowboys for what Drew Pearson did. And then to have Paul Krause fall down on the same play?!?! That could only happen to the Vikings. Rest assured, though, our loyalty will be rewarded sometime before we die (I hope)!

Posted by: Curt at May 18, 2004 4:52 PM

Curt, you know I probably base my whole opinion of Darrin Nelson's hands on that one play. Probably not very fair, but I was really let down by that dropped pass. My apologies to the Nelson family.

Oh yes, our loyalty will be rewarded someday. I have no doubt of that. The thought of the Vikings winning the Super Bowl is almost too distracting to think about! I've got to get some work done!

Posted by: Shane at May 19, 2004 8:34 AM