< MT license | Main | Couple of good articles >

Need a book to read

If you are a regular reader of the Greet Machine, you'll notice that my "What I'm Reading" section to the right hasn't changed in quite a while. I actually finished The Tale of Despereaux about three weeks ago. If you want to know, it was a very good book. I actually love reading children's books. The Tale of Despereaux actually won the Newberry award for best children's book and is written by a Minneapolis author, Kate DiCamillo. I don't know if you've read a children's book for a while but they are usually well written and very easy to understand. In the case of The Tale of Despereaux the reader can immediately tell that every sentence has been expertly crafted, every word selected for the utmost clarity. It really is a joy to read something you know someone has worked so hard on. I am of the opinion that children's books must be one of the hardest kind of book to write, because really you've got to impress both the child and the parent or guardian that will ultimately purchase the book. That can be a tall order. Anyway, The Tale of Despereaux is a wonderful book. I recommend it whole heartedly. It is very thought provoking and should generate some good discussion between you and your child.

You'll also notice that the title of this post is "Need a book to read." I know it is probably odd for a librarian to ask for advice on what to read next, but I am doing just that. If you have read any good books lately please let me know, especially some of you readers that maybe have never commented before. We all read, and we've all read a good book at some point in our lives. Please let me know what you think are some really good books. To get the ball rolling, I'll list some books I've read recently that I've enjoyed:

So there you have it. I enjoy all types of books, but if it's fiction I really enjoy a good scifi novel. If you've got any suggestions, please let me know!

Posted by snackeru at May 18, 2004 8:58 AM | Books

No one has any suggestions for me? Come on! Just put down anon@anon.com and a book title and I'll be a happy camper.

Curt, I know you've got a suggestion for me...

Posted by: Shane at May 18, 2004 2:18 PM

If you enjoyed "Short History of Nearly Everything" I have a suspicion you would also like "The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary" by Simon Winchester.

I have to admit I "read" the audio book and it may be too much to actually sit down and read...but it is a very interesting story.

Anon

Posted by: anon at May 18, 2004 5:48 PM

Here are some really good books to read:

By Stephen Lawhead:
1. Taliesin 2. Avalon 3. Arthur 4. Pendragon 5. Grail Also by Stephen Lawhead: The Celtic Crusades: 1. The Iron Lance 2. The Black Rood and 3. The Mystic Rose

Posted by: mom at May 19, 2004 7:58 AM

Good suggestions! Thanks! Anon, what is the difference between "The Professor and the Madman" and "The Meaning of Everything"? I notice thet are both by the same author and both about the OED. Have you read them both?

Posted by: Shane at May 19, 2004 8:36 AM

I suggested Ghost Soldiers to you, so I think I'm off the hook for a while. I just re-read Timeline by Michael Crichton, and started re-reading a Wrinkle in Time yesterday. Sorry, but I am all out of suggestions. What did you think of Trojan Odyssey?

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 19, 2004 10:00 AM

Anything by Patrick O'Brian. Admittedly, I was primed for his sea stories onnaccounta having collected so many friends in Seattle w/water-based backgrounds. I decided years ago that my mid-life crisis would be running away to the sea...

However, even if none of above were true, O'Brian's sea stories rock b/c his character Stephen Maturin (the doctor; of the Gallapagos obsession in Master & Commander) is, in the books, one of the most awesomely weird characters I've ever come across. Almost as weird as people I actually know. Plus the battles are great! You can borrow the first or second if you want (still reading 3 and 4's next)....

Posted by: Amy West at May 20, 2004 6:18 PM