< Happy Day | Main | Looks pretty bad >

Stadium news

Today's stadium news will be kind of weak, but there really isn't a whole lot out there to comment on. Obviously, it is very important that the governor call a special session. Right now, Dean Johnson, Steve Sviggum, and Pawlenty are all working furiously to hammer out the agenda of the proposed special session. Although Dean Johnson says that there is no more than a "50-50" chance of a special session being called, he did have this to say about the chances for a Twins stadium:

If the Legislature does return, Johnson said, there's a good chance members would vote on building a new ballpark for the Minnesota Twins.

"The Twins have ginned up a pretty good public relations operation" to build support for a stadium bill, he said.

It seems that all of our stadium hopes now ride on Pawlenty's ability to negotiate with the DFL side of the Senate. I think Dean Johnson may be getting a letter from me tonight. He is playing hardball with the governor now, but I hope all of this negotiation pays off in the long run. It also sounds like only the Twins will get any attention. This may not be a bad thing as Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press consistently reports that Red will sell if the Vikings don't get anwhere with their stadium plans this year.

That's all for now.

Posted by snackeru at May 27, 2004 8:40 AM | Stadiums