< Every fan counts | Main | Marshall Field no more >

Bad news for special session

The Star Tribune today is reporting that the chances for a special session are very remote. Apparently the DFL controlled Senate proposed the "appointment of three House-Senate negotiating groups that would meet publicly without a deadline for agreement." The GOP House rejected this rather angrily for some reason with Steve Sviggum adding,

"I'm not going to reach out one more time," said House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, adding that the Senate leadership's latest proposal for a special session "doesn't even warrant a response."

And ...
"Dean Johnson has shut the door," Sviggum said. "The Senate is unwilling to serve the interests of Minnesota. They just want to do the politics."

Sigh. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only good idea Jesse Ventura had was to push for a unicameral legislature. I'm so sick of all of this partisan politics, it is a wonder how they get any work done at all. And what did they accomplish this year? Seriously, the only thing this legislative session will be remembered for is making a hunting season for doves. That is pathetic. I'm not sure I'll vote for any incumbents this year.

On top of all this Charley Walters had some interesing comments in his Shooter column today:

Because chances of the Minnesota Legislature having a special session appear likely, look for negotiations for a sale of the Vikings by Red McCombs to Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor to be expedited. If Taylor can buy the Vikings, chances for a Gophers-Vikings stadium partnership would increase significantly.

Insiders say the Twins have the best chance of getting a ballpark approved in a special session, followed by an on-campus stadium for the Gophers, then a Vikings-Gophers partnership. Chances for a Vikings stadium remain bleak.

Walters better check his sources again, although I am thrilled with the idea that McCombs could expedite his sale of the Vikings to Taylor. I don't know how that would increase the chances of a Gophers-Vikings stadium, but I'll take whatever good news I can get today.

Posted by snackeru at June 9, 2004 9:15 AM | Stadiums

Politics appear to have become toxic on Minnesota. Even ignoring the stadium issue, the legislature failed to accomplish anything on many important issues. They were much too concerned with sticking it to the opposing party rather than doing what is best for the state. Politics here in North Dakota are tame compared to what is happening in Minnesota.

Memo to all of you Minnesota sports fans who read this blog: You should consider moving to NoDak when the Twins and Vikings leave due to the inability of the Minnesota's politicians to solve the stadium issue. We have a couple of lakes, and a few rivers (both of which often flood but we'll ignore that fact for now). We also have shopping malls and cable television. There really isn't really a whole lot to do around here, but then Minnesota will be the same way when the pro sports teams move!

Curt Hanson
Grand Forks, North Dakota

Posted by: Curt Hanson at June 9, 2004 10:19 AM

right on, curt!

Posted by: shane at June 9, 2004 3:31 PM

Nah, move to Wisconsin! We have the Packers (legendary revamped Lambeau Field and and team that will NEVER leave), the Brewers (New Stadium), UW football (75,000 seat almost completely renovated stadium. I don't think the Gophers ever played in front of that many fans). Not that I'm biased or anything.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at June 9, 2004 4:44 PM