< Bad news for special session | Main | Do you have a crazy spouse like me? >

Marshall Field no more

marshallfield.jpg

It was a very sad day for me yesterday. Marshall Field's was sold to a company outside of Minnesota. And I'm not sad for the normal reasons, I'm sad because I honestly thought there was a chance that the new Twins stadium could be named "Marshall Field." We all know that any new stadium will have a corporate sponsor's name attached to it, and I thought Marshall Field would be the perfect name for a variety of reasons. In fact, I have been documenting my efforts on this front on the Internet for quite a while. Now there is little chance for a Marshall Field.

So, that brings up a good discussion point. What should the name for a Twins stadium be? The best I've heard besides Marshall Field is probably Wheaties Field, you know, the "Field of Champions" or something like that. If someone has a better idea, please let me know. Now watch, General Mills will be sold to Nestle. What is happening to all our big name businesses? Honeywell? Gone. Daytons? Gone. General Mills? Soon to be gone? Slowly but surely we are turning into North Dakota.

Posted by snackeru at June 10, 2004 9:10 AM | Stadiums

I have been calling it the "store formerly known as Dayton's". I cringe to think they'll leave the name Marshall Field's, which not only means Chicago in my mind, but brings up the image of cheap reject merchandise from nearby Marshalls. Ugh.
Susan G.

Posted by: Susan G at June 10, 2004 11:41 AM

When [gulp] Macy's State Street fails, or underperforms, I wouldn't be surprised if Federated sold the State Street property to developers who would remodel it into the "Marshall Field Condominiums & Food Court." As rediculous as this may sound, its not unfathomable. When Macy's bought the also famed Bullock's in Los Angeles they sold off the much revered Downtown flagship to an immigrant developer who had no sensitivity to the Bullock legacy and [sadly] converted it into a parking garage!

Federated NEVER promised to preserve the cultural legacy that was Bullock's and hasn't promised to preserve the Marshall Fields building as a department store. Lundgren is MOST concerned with his stockholders. He's Shrewed. So schrewed that even Daley bought into his charms. Look closely at the choice of words Lundgren is using...he's THINKING about bringing Frango mint production back to Chicago. Un huh! I've heard this kind of thing before!

Mark my words...the name change isn't the end of this story!

Posted by: Tony Hoover at September 30, 2005 2:31 AM