June 22, 2004
This is getting weird
Did all of you catch this today? Moe Hargrow may want to rejoin the Gophers next year. This shouldn't surprise us anymore, and yet I am still baffled at what kind of voodoo magic Monson has over players from Minnesota. I mean, it's almost like he has no problem seeing them go because he knows eventually they will become Gophers. And in Moe's case, he will again become a Gopher. Check out all the players that this has happened with:
- Rick Rickert committed to Arizona, but later decided to become a Gopher
- Kris Humphris committed to Duke, but later decided to become a Gopher
- Ben Johnson played for Northwestern, but later decided to transfer to Minnesota
- Aaron Boone played for North Carolina, but later decided to transfer to Minnesota
- Dan Coleman attended summer classes at Boston College before deciding to transfer to Minnesota
This is amazing. I'm sure Monson wishes he could just get them to committ to the Gophers first and stay, but the pull of Minnesota basketball is remarkable (especially for local players that have decided to play elsewhere). I can't decide what this says for Gopher basketball. On the one hand it's nice to see local players have some loyalty to their home state. On the other hand, it's almost like some of these players are finding out that they just aren't that good and that Minnesota may be the only place they'll start on the D1 level. Hopefully it is more of the former. Is it too late for Alan Anderson to transfer?
Posted by snackeru at June 22, 2004 9:32 PM | Sports
Good to hear another local boy comes back. It doesn't matter though, the Badgers are still going to kick the holy heck out of them.
Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at June 23, 2004 8:37 AM
Yeah, I don't hink Moe's return will have much of a positive impact on the team. I think they'll do better than last year though. That won't be too difficult considering they were in last place.
Posted by: Shane at June 23, 2004 8:55 AM