< Sorry everyone | Main | Links of the day >

Time to think about football

ticket.jpgMy Vikings season tickets are some of my most prized possessions. I don't have the best seats, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't have bad seats either. I sit amongst the true fans in the upper levels of the Dome, fans that are devoted and passionate (and relatively poor like me). This will be my 4th season owning the tickets, and almost every year I have made incremental moves down the stands. The first year I had tickets I sat in section 217, Row 28. That is pretty much at the top. However, after four years I am now in row 21! Baby steps, I realize, but every row helps. Next year I expect to break into the teens. You gotta have goals.

Needless to say, I just received my season ticket package for the 2004 season. I am pumped! To the right is one of my tickets for the Green Bay game Christmas Eve. What on Earth convinced the NFL schedule makers that this was a good idea is beyond me. I must admit that I am a little ticked off that my Christmas celebration will be chopped up by a football game. Being a person of Scandinavian descent, my family usually did our Christmas on Christmas Eve. However, the game itself should be good as always. Although I'm hoping that the Vikes will have the NFC North wrapped up by then, a little piece of me hopes the game is meaningful. Who knows? Maybe we'll need to beat the Pack to wrap up home field advantage? Regardless, the Packers should be easy to defeat this year, regardless of when the Vikings play them.

When I was in Milwaukee I asked Gabe, one of Cheesehead Craig's friends and a rabid Packer fan, what game Packer fans really get excited for. He said, "See these Christmas lights strung up all over my basement? They only get turned on for the Packer/Viking game. It's all about the Vikings." Well, this year it will be more appropriate than ever to turn on those lights for the game.

Posted by snackeru at July 13, 2004 9:23 PM | Vikings

What a beautiful looking ticket! We'll have to decorate our Viking horns when we go to the game! Skol Vikings!

Curt in Grand Forks (who wishes to remind everyone that training camp for the future NFC North Champion Vikings begins in 16 days!!)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 14, 2004 8:57 AM

I know the comments on the beatability of the Packers are just made to raise my ire. I just look at them as incoherant ramblings from a loon.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 14, 2004 8:57 AM

Yes, Curt, I think we will have to invest in some horns this year. Enter the age of Viking domination! And Craig, I really honestly feel the Vikings have a much better team this year than the Packers. I fully expect them to sweep and I don't think it will be difficult. Favre is showing his age, and I think we may be seeing Couch at the Dome this year. Plus I don't like the Packers and I think your breath stinks. So there you have it.

Posted by: Shane at July 14, 2004 11:55 AM

I'm going to start calling you Sid now. You are such a homer it is pathetic. I cannot believe that you just said that Favre will be benched in favor for Couch. You have just lost ALL credibility with me. The Vikings have improved, yes, but the sweep will happen by the Packers. Packers have the superior team and will prove it this year, again.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 15, 2004 8:58 AM

I never said Favre would be benched. I'm suggesting that he will either be injured or the Vikings will be so far ahead in the standings that it would be pointless to play. And do you seriously think the Packers will sweep? Talk about a homer (pot? meet kettle...). The Packers have not improved at all while the Vikings have shored up both the offense and the defense. I'm sorry if you think I shouldn't be optimistic, but I am very, very optimistic this year.

Posted by: Shane at July 15, 2004 9:04 AM

Your LB's are a major question mark with 2 of your starters possibly facing jail and/or suspensions. Your defensive coord is gone who was a major part of the team's success. I would be cautiously optimistic at best if I were you. Stating that the Packers will sweep is not that outragous of a statement, given that over the last 3 years, the Packers have the 2nd best record in football. My optimism is based on fact and a solid base. Yours is just blind following of the Vikings PR machine. The Favre getting injured is just an argument based on hysteria. I think you may have gotten West Nile while camping this weekend Shane, because your mental capabilities have certainly been diminished lately.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 15, 2004 10:06 AM