< What is in my CD player | Main | UThink Update >

Eventful day

The Twins are simply too painful to talk about right now. They seriously couldn't hit a beach ball. So, I'm going to write about my eventful Sunday morning, afternoon, and evening.

Sunday morning: Church

Thanks to my lovely wife I volunteer at my church as a sound technician. Not every Sunday, but some Sunday's I work the sound board and make sure everyone is "mixed" properly. That is sound lingo for making sure everyone has their volumes turned up (or down) properly. You see, most Lutheran churches have a couple of wireless microphones to worry about, but my Lutheran church has a full on band with guitars, keyboards, vocals, backup vocals, violins, drums, etc, not to mention flood lights and even a disco ball. Oh yes, we get funky when we worship the Lord. Unfortunately for me, I barely know how to work any of this equipment. I'm willing to learn, and I'm definitely doing just that, but sometimes that isn't good enough. Take yesterday for example. Everything seemed to be working smoothly when suddenly one of the microphones started to make a horrendously loud thumping noise. Let me tell you, there is nothing as humbling or nerve wracking as this since the second the noise starts all eyes in the congregation dart to the sound guy. Me. Seriously, about all I know how to fix is the volume (up or down?), but I frantically try to look like I know what I'm doing by flipping switches and turning dials. "What does this one say ... reverb flux equalizer? Sounds good to me, let's crank this puppy up and see what it does..." Eventually we had to turn the wireless mikes off since not even some "experts" in the band knew how to fix it. Like I said, very humbling. Then our pastor get's up to talk. Now, if there is one thing a sound guy does not want to mess up, it is the pastor's sermon. So, everything was going smoothly when my ears started to hear an echo coming from ... well ... I didn't know where it was coming from but I was determined to fix it. So, I start messing with the dials. "What does this one say ... quantum input balance authority? Let's see what happens if I max this one out..." Well, lo and behold eventually all my fiddling got the echo to go away! I was pretty proud of myself and I sat back to listen to the sermon without a care in the world. Well, I should have known something bad would happen. After the sermon the pastor ended on a very poignant note and the congregation quietly reflected on the message. The pastor then reached down to turn of his microphone when all of the sudden the most annoying and loud screech blared forth from the speakers. The congregation actually yelped from the pain this caused their ears. Again, all eyes on the sound guy. Me. While my fiddling fixed the pastor's echo, it seems it also turned on some feedback that sounded and felt like an ice pick rammed into everyone's ears. The pastor gave me a little look of annoyance and I slumped down vowing to never touch anything but the main volume control ever again. Very humbling.

Afternoon: root beer floats

Another weekend, another Cub Scout activity. This weekend my son and I volunteered to sell root beer floats in front of our local Cub Foods to raise money for the Cub Scouts. We worked the 2:00-5:00 shift, and we sold the most delicious root beer floats for a $1 a piece. Most of the people buying floats didn't really want one, but they did want to help the Cub Scouts. Some people just gave us a donation which was very, very nice. And then there were some people that seemed to want to rip us off. I know, can you believe it? One gentlemen walked up and said, "All I've got is 30 cents. Give me whatever that is worth." So, I gave him a little scoop of ice cream and about a third of a cup of root beer. So then he said, "Oh come on, give me some more root beer." So, being a nice guy I gave him a little more. Then he motioned to his cup and asked for more. So I said, "You gave me 30 cents! I should have given you a spoonful of ice cream and a swig of root beer from my bottle. Now take a hike!" Actually I didn't say all of that, but I did say that is all 30 cents would buy him. He grumbled and walked away. Sheesh. Anyway, overall we did pretty well. We sold 180 floats in 3 hours. Not too shabby.

Evening: Spiderman 2

So, doing all this Cub Scout activity with my older son makes my younger son feel a little left out. Eventually he'll be in Cub Scouts, but for now he gets a little ticked off that his brother does all this "cool stuff" and he has to stay at home. So, after root beer floats I took him out to get a little bite to eat and to see Spiderman 2. That, my friends, is a good movie. I enjoyed it immensely. I tell you, Tobey Maguire is the perfect Spiderman. I read that Sam Raimi, the director, almost gave him the boot, but it is a good thing he didn't. I can't imagine anyone else as Spiderman. The second installment of this franchise may have even been better than the first. There is action, sure, but there is also a very well done love story. That's right, I'm not too manly to admit that I wanted Mary Jane and Spiderman to work out their differences. But the best scene was in the middle when Spiderman is unmasked on the subway after fighting Doc Oc. I don't want to ruin it for you, but the reaction of the people is very touching. Anyway, it was a great movie, and my younger son loved it too (although there were a couple of scary scenes!). I'll definitely see it again.

That's about it. I just read that Joe Mauer may be put on the disabled list again. Yikes, that is scary.

Posted by snackeru at July 19, 2004 8:15 AM | Life

What a coincidence, I saw Spiderman 2 last night as well. I actually thought about calling you to go. Had we known about the sale at Cub we would have certainly chipped in. Spiderman 2 definately lived up to the hype.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 19, 2004 12:34 PM

My only complaint, which is a minor one, about the Spiderman movies is the casting on 1 character and I know that I'll catch some grief for it. It's Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. My argument for it is this: I'm a comic book geek, I used to collect them. In the books, Mary Jane is portrayed as drop dead gorgeous. I mean like Cindy Crawford in her prime, where she is internationally famous (not that there's anything wrong with her now, but I digress). I don't get that with Kirsten. She is too sweet and girl next door looking. Angie Everhart would have been better, but alas, she cannot act, which poses that problem. That's all from me on the subject.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 19, 2004 3:04 PM

Hmmm... yes, I kind of see what you mean, although I don't mind Kirsten Dunst at all. I don't think she is drop dead gorgeous, but I do think she is beautiful. I also think she has got that something, that charm, that makes movie goers happy to see her. Personally I think she is great. I can see why you picked Everhart (red hair), but I think a really beautiful woman would have detracted from the movie. Peter Parker has a chance with Dunst. No way does a model like Everhart give him a chance. It may work in comic books, but not in a movie.

Posted by: Shane at July 19, 2004 3:08 PM

You deserve hazard pay for being the "sound guy" at church. I have observed that to be a nerve racking position, even here at my small church in Grand Forks. I wholeheartedly agree that Spiderman 2 was amazing! Even my wife liked it (which is no small compliment at all). Take care

Curt in Grand Forks (a self professed comic geek)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 19, 2004 4:29 PM