< Links of the day | Main | Everyone is talking about Morneau >

Another edition of random musings

• Yesterday my son and a friend decided to give the old lemonade stand a try to see if they could make some money. Personally I thought they would do pretty well, and as far as lemonade stands go I think they did. They made about $11 bucks. However, we live on a street that some pretty rich people drive on. I'm not saying I'm rich, not by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a desitination on my street that rich people like to frequent, so I typically see all kinds of nice vehicles out my window especially Mercedes, BMWs, and of course a Lexus every now and again. What surprised me about this fact in relation to my son's lemonade stand is not one of these cars stopped to buy some lemonade. He was selling a large lemonade for 50 cents and a small for 25 cents. I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't have this kind of change in their car somewhere, but especially a person driving a BMW! So, after seeing this I have made a new vow for myself. Whenever I see some kids selling lemonade I will stop and buy some, no matter what. I mean really, how hard is it to stop and buy some lemonade? You get a nice cold glass of a tasty beverage, you make some kids very happy, and you feel better about yourself. It is a win-win all the way around.
  • Who else isn't sick to their stomach regarding this who Joe Mauer knee debacle? I tell you I am just sick about it. I wrote about this a while ago, but why do athletes need surgery for every little bump and bruise? If Joe was in high school they probably would have rested his knee for about a month or two and he would have been ready to go. But in professional sports they seem to do all kinds of unecessary, invasive surgery to speed the healing process. I can't help but think that this short-sighted thinking has jeopardized Joe's catching career. I know, I'm being a bit pessimistic since they did receive some good news concerning Joe's knee. Plus, I'm no doctor, but removing the cartilage from a catcher's knee cannot ever be a good thing. Weren't they a little concerned that they were messing with the knee of a catcher? Again, what do I know...
  • Speaking of the Twins management's likely ineptitude, I cannot stand how they mess around with their young talent. Take the stories of Cuddyer and Morneau for example. Here were two can't miss prospects. Do you remember how a couple years ago Cuddyer lit up spring training and then the Twins gave the right field job to Dustan Mohr? From then on Cuddyer has been looking over his shoulder and he has never been the same. He has been shuffled back and forth to the minors more than any player of his promise deserves. It has gotten to the point where the StarTrib writes that a start for Cuddyer is now a rare opportunity. Cuddyer needs consistent at bats and the confidence that the Twins won't jerk him around anymore. Personally I would love to see him at second base. What does Rivas have (besides speed) that Cuddyer doesn't? Can someone help me out with that one?

This brings up Morneau. The Twins are coming dangerously close to doing the same to him as they've done to Cuddyer. In the five games he has been up for he has hit 2 homers and has 4 RBI, not stunning numbers but not Mientkiewicz numbers either. What more does Morneau have to do to stay in the majors? It is time to recognize that he deserves the starting job at first.

Posted by snackeru at July 21, 2004 8:57 AM | Life

I think we'll see Cuddyer every day at 3rd next year. Koskie has slumped to near Mientkiewicz numbers (he was at .240 before he struck out in last at-bat last night). The Twins should have realized that Cuddyer had a much bigger upside than Mohr, and given him the job. Restovich has also struggled with this. Either give the prospects the playing time or trade them.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 21, 2004 11:13 AM

I think Curt has something here. I can see the Twins doing a wholesale change next season. Getting rid of the big contracts of Dougie and Koskie (and possibly Jones) is not out of the realm of possibility for the low-budget Twins. Those 3 have served thier purpose and need to be moved along with Rivas.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 21, 2004 12:03 PM

Yes, I agree. Restovich is another great example of the Twins jerking around their young talent. What purpose does this serve? Having said all this, I wonder how prospects in the Yankee organization must feel. They've got to know that they will never wear the pinstripes. Maybe the Twins aren't the best at handling their young talent, but they probably aren't the worst.

I agree that Koskie is gone next year. Mientkiewicz too, and probably Jones. Just like this year, though, we could actually see an improvement at some of these positions, especially with hitting. I can see Cuddyer at third, Punto at second or short, and Morneau at first. Obviously Lew will take over right. Who replaces Guzman though? I don't see him coming back. Maybe the Twins keep Rivas at second and move Punto to short?

Posted by: Shane at July 21, 2004 12:21 PM

Two things: Rich people suck. Oh wait, we are in the top one percent of wealth in the world, God has provided all I need, and I didn't even buy a lemonade. Shame on me. I have had a real money issue the last few days.
    Next, you'll have to pronounce debacle for me, I only have read it and I think I pronounce it wrong. It's a great word.

Posted by: cheesehead's first wife at July 21, 2004 4:04 PM

• eXTReMe Tracker