< Another edition of random musings | Main | One more thing >

Everyone is talking about Morneau

I'm sure this site isn't the first web page you read every day, so you've probably already seen all the talk about Justin Morneau in the papers this morning. If not, check out:

I'm no statistician. I'll let the Twins Geek worry about that. But in the short time Morneau has been up he has produced numbers that Doug Mientkiewicz can only dream about: "Since his call-up Friday, Morneau has two home runs, six runs batted in and is batting .269 in six games. He went 3 for 5 with an RBI on Wednesday against the Devil Rays." He is batting .280 overall. Mientikiewicz is quoted as saying:
"We know he can hit, but I think they would rather have me on defense,'' said Mientkiewicz, who is eligible to come off the DL today but isn't likely to be activated before Friday. "The sky's the limit for him, but I won't sit back if I'm healthy.''

Uh, sorry Mint. You will be sitting. We are in the middle of a pennant race and you aren't producing. At all. Jim Souhan even speculated that Mint could be traded, possibly to Boston to clear the way for Morneau. That would be surprising, but I gotta admit I wouldn't be too upset about it. Mint had some pretty good years here, but his lack of consistency has grown tiresome.

And speaking of trades, Souhan and the Pioneer Press have some other juicy tidbits concerning possible trades. Restovich for Dan Wilson? Interesting, but more interesting is:

"Ryan didn't offer details, but members of the organization said the most probable target of trade talks is Pittsburgh starter Kris Benson, and that the Twins have a list of top prospects they won't trade for him that includes Justin Morneau, Jason Kubel and Scott Baker."

I tell you, I would be surprised, very happy, but surprised if the Twins got Benson. He is way too hot right now. I suppose it all depends on what Ryan offers for him, but I really don't think Pittsburgh is going to be interested in anyone besides who the Twins won't trade. Wouldn't it be nice if they took Restovich and Adam Johnson for Benson? Really, what do I know?

Next week should be interesting. Will Jacque still be a Twin? Will Mint be riding the pine? And if the Twins don't make any trades, where will they bat Lew Ford when Stewart returns to left field? The plot thickens!

Posted by snackeru at July 22, 2004 8:56 AM | Twins

Trading Restovich just to use Dan Wilson for a couple of weeks until Mauer comes back would be horrible. Using him to trade for Benson, however, would be great. I had read on espn.com several weeks ago that the Pirates really need players who can play right away. Perhaps Mint would be a good fit there. He would probably be an upgrade over Randall Simon, who they have there right now. I just hope they do something, because they have too many players at too few positions.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 22, 2004 9:27 AM

I just heard on the game today that Boston might be interested in Mint. Wouldn't it be kind of a shock if Dougie got traded? I mean here we are totally focusing on Jacque all year and Mint is the one to get traded. I tell you, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Posted by: Shane at July 22, 2004 2:06 PM