< Thanks for the memories | Main | The Trouble with Air >

Land of Fasciitis

OK, this is just getting ridiculous. You probably all remember how it started, when Jimmy "The Pride of North Dakota" Kleinsasser was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago? We all said, "What the heck is that? Is it contagious?" Of course we heard that its not contagious, but I'm beginning to wonder. I think every Minnesota team but the Wild have had to deal with this mysterious ailment. First, we all know Wally Sczerbiak missed a good chunk of last season due to plantar fasciitis. Shannon Stewart missed a good part of this season because of plantar fasciitis. Randy Moss still has plantar faciitis and expects to play through the pain. Now, Mike Tice himself has come down with the ailment. What the heck is going on? We don't hear about plantar faciitis for years and now there isn't a week that goes by without someone coming down with it. Is it just me or does Minnesota have an inordinate amount of our sports personalities out with plantar fasciitis?

Posted by snackeru at August 2, 2004 4:15 PM | Sports

Shane,
Your ramblings are bordering on hysterics. I would run over and slap some sense into you, but there's this pain in my foot right by my heel that is preventing me from doing so.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 2, 2004 10:46 PM

I tell you, there is something in the water here, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it! Beware of the fasciitis! It is coming for YOU!

Posted by: Shane at August 3, 2004 9:17 AM

My left foot started hurting the other day, and the first thought which went through my mind was plantar fasciitis!! Turns out my foot was just asleep!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 3, 2004 9:26 AM

Please don't forget about another victim of plantar fasciitis: Craig Sauer. Sauer was born and raised in Sartell, Minnesota, and played football for the Gophers. He then went on to a NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons, where he had several productive seasons. The Vikings signed him, although he played sparingly due to plantar fasciitis. The injury eventually forced his retirement, as it simply never improved. I remember hearing, however, that he did have a particularily bad case of plantar fasciitis.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 3, 2004 9:46 AM

Yes, I knew there was someone I was forgetting. Who else in Minnesota sports history has come down with this ailment? Anyone else know?

Posted by: Shane at August 3, 2004 9:51 AM

And get this: A guy I work with, who is an avid jogger, was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis today!! This is getting a little weird. Maybe it is coming after us!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 3, 2004 11:41 AM

You young'uns don't go back far enough. The alpha case of this dread communicable Minnesota athletes affliction was Micheal Williams, the pre-Stephon Marbury point guard. His feet hurt so badly that he couldn't even shoot free throws, the one thing he did well.

And then there is me, a less-than-avid but still afflicted jogger. Any my dentist. And his hygienist. What do you think we talk about when I am the captive audience? Fortunately, we have all been miraculously cured by a set of pricy orthotic inserts, available only from Peterson's Shoes in Anoka.

Posted by: Oldstuffer at August 6, 2004 3:51 PM

Yes! Michael Williams! I knew I was forgetting someone. Unfortunately for Williams he is a forgettable person. All of these comments have led me to one conclusion, that we are under attack. It may be all coincidence or chace, but I have a sneaky suspicion that some Packer backers are too blame for all of this. They must be poisoning our water or something. All the more reason to crush the Packers this fall! Skol Vikings!

Posted by: Shane at August 9, 2004 11:18 AM