< Tags and Stadiums | Main | UThink is 4 months old! >

Randomness

• First and foremost we've got to talk about Glen Taylor's recent visit to Vikings training camp. Just the thought of Taylor spending some time with the Vikings is enough to make my whole day happier. According to the article above, when asked about buying the Vikings Taylor said, "things are closer now than they've ever been." Wow, I'm feeling light-headed. Then across the river, Charley Walters is reporting that we should expect Red to sell the team before 2005. Red, all is forgiven if you sell the team to Taylor. I may even let out a couple yells of "Purple Pride! Purple Pride!" if you sell the team to Taylor.
  • Speaking of Walters, he also had this to say about our second favorite Twins first baseman:
    Since joining the Boston Red Sox two weeks ago, ex-Twins first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz has nine hits in 32 at-bats (.281) with two doubles and one run batted in. For the season, Mientkiewicz has 79 hits in 316 at-bats (.250) with five homers, 20 doubles and 26 RBIs.

For the Twins, first baseman Justin Morneau has 37 hits in 133 at-bats (.278) with 10 homers, six doubles and 28 RBIs.

Morneau, who is being paid $300,000 this season, has two more RBIs than Mientkiewicz, who is being paid $2.8 million and has 183 more at-bats.

Umm ... yeah. Morneau is a stud. Nice to finally see him get some regular playing time.
  • And speaking of Dougie, did you see the Twins ad agency, Hunt Adkins, has resigned? It seems the Twins wanted to shop the account around a little, and Hunt Adkins didn't want to play that game. I've always liked what Hunt Adkins did with the Twins, from "Get to Know 'Em" to "Gotta See 'Em" to "Every Fan Counts." Good stuff. But nothing compares to their work on how to spell Mientkiewicz in a radio commercial that spoofed "School House Rock." That is one of the best sports related commercials I have ever heard. If anyone has the lyrics of that jingle please send them my way.
  • I don't think it was any secret that I wanted the Twins' Victory Sports to succeed. But in its aftermath, I gotta say I am impressed with what FSN is doing for Minnesota sports fans. To compete with Victory, FSN created a show called "Minnesota Sports Tonight" which they show after Twins games, and at 10:00 every night. This is a really good show. Instead of watching the local news for 25 minutes before I get 5 minutes of sports coverage, Minnesota Sports Tonight is a half hour of Minnesota sports coverage. And it is pretty good coverage. It has both obvious stories and stories that I wasn't aware of. For example, just last night they reported on a rumor that had the TWolves trading Sam Cassel and Wally Szcerbiak to the Nets for Jason Kidd. That was a stunning development. Of course, it is just a rumor and most likely isn't true at all, but as far as I can see, no one else is reporting on it. Anyway, if you haven't seen Minnesota Sports Tonight you should check it out. Good stuff.
  • Finally, and on a personal note, I'll be doing a little camping this weekend with our Cub Scout Den up in Forest Lake, MN. We will be camping with some wolves at a wolf preserve in the area. And no, there isn't any real danger with this campout, the wolves will be behind a fence. Anyway, it should be fun and educational. Of course, I should have some pictures of the excursion.

That's it for now. Maybe more later.

Posted by snackeru at August 13, 2004 8:37 AM | Sports

The Victory Sports maneuver did light a fire under Fox Sports (and get them to up their amount paid to Uncle Carl significantly). I'm reserving judgment on the quality of Minnesota Sports Night until the Gopher sports seasons resume, to see if they provide coverage of Gopher football, volleyball, basketball as well. The most frustrating aspect of the demise of VSN is that Gopher basketball coverage will probably be minimal on Fox Sports once again. The Big 10's contract is with ESPN, giving them first rights to all conference games. They would just as soon leave a secondary game blacked out as give it to Fox, their main rival.

Posted by: Oldstuffer at August 17, 2004 11:06 AM

• eXTReMe Tracker