< Randoms and Leave our Vikings alone! | Main | Intentions >

Not good ... not good at all

As Curt points out in a comment below, Viking Update is reporting:

VU has been told that the Vikings have spoken with an investment group from Arizona about purchasing the team. Just as the annual threat to move the team to L.A. comes up, so do rumors of a sale to outside investors. This time, however, it looks as serious as ever and could be sold by the end of the month.

It is officially panic time. I've done some searching for Reggie Fowler in Arizona newspapers but I haven't been able to find anything regarding his possible purchase of the Vikings. I guess what my main question is, is he interested in moving the team? Of course, the Vikings still have the lease until 2011 and the Rozelle letter so there is little doubt in my mind that the team is stuck here until 2011. However, an absentee owner will not be able to build a stadium in Minnesota. Red has proven that. What happens as 2011 approaches?

Glen Taylor where are you?

Posted by snackeru at August 17, 2004 1:06 PM | Vikings

Does this sound like Donald Watkins to you? This is the guy from Alabama who was supposedly going to buy either the Twins or the Anaheim Angels. He swooped in from no where, and was full of hot air. He was very public about his intentions, and ended not being a serious buyer for either team. There is no doubt that Taylor must step up, and step up soon, though.

Curt in Grand Forks (who despises the entire state of Texas due solely to Red McCombs)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 17, 2004 3:22 PM

You know, I thought the same thing. Perhaps there is a silver lining to all of this. Maybe Taylor will double his efforts if he thinks someone will buy the team before him (again!). I'm thinking about calling the T-Wolves offices and demanding to speak to Taylor. He needs a fire lit under him real quick.

Posted by: Shane at August 17, 2004 3:26 PM

It seems as though Taylor is trying to low-ball Red. Forbes magazine put the value of the team at about $540 million. Yet most reports put Taylor's offer at around $400 million. I agree that Taylor should not be Red's asking price of $600 million, but he is going to have to offer moer than $400 million. I just pray that he gets it done.

Curt in Grand Forks (who has been sick to his stomach since the possible sale was first reported)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 18, 2004 8:29 AM