< Happy Birthday, Mom! | Main | Not good ... not good at all >

Randoms and Leave our Vikings alone!

• Sorry I haven't written anything for a while. It ususally takes me some time to recuperate from a weekend camping trip. Speaking of which, camping with the wolves at the Forest Lake Wildlife Science Center was a blast. We set up our tents in the middle of about 35 wolves (all in pens of course) and had a nice tour of the complex. I learned so much about wolves. The most interesting thing I learned was the reason why you can't have wolves as pets. Besides the fact that they might want to eat you for dinner (unlikely, but possible), it has more to do with their pack structure and desire to be "alpha" male or female. There are always two alphas in a pack, one male and one female. These are the only two wolves in the pack that can mate and they also get first dibs on any food that has recently been killed. However, the rest of the wolves in the pack (there can be from 5 to 20 in a wolf pack) are always looking for the chance when they can be alpha. They are always evaluating their chances of taking the alphas down. At some point a young wolf wakes up and thinks, "I am strong enough to become alpha" so he/she decides to attack. How does this relate to having a wolf as a pet? If you raise a wolf that wolf thinks you are alpha. At some point the wolf is going to decide he/she can take you down. And a wolf bites with 1,500 pounds of pressure. That is like balancing your car on the palm of your hand with a stick. In other words it wouldn't be pretty. Anyways, it was fascinating.

There were also Canadian lynx (lynxes? what is the plural of "lynx"?) at the center, 4 black bears, some owls and falcons, and some foxes. Did you know that there are over 30,000 black bears in Minnesota roaming around? 30,000!!! The coolest thing that happened at the camp was that around 2:00 in the morning the wolves started to howl. And when one of them starts, they all start howling. It was like 30 ambulances going through our tent. It was a complete cacophony of sound and quite amazing. Truly I could go on and on about camping with the wolves, but I'll leave it at that for now. Did you know there are about 3,000 wolves in Minnesota? OK, I'll stop now.

• Of course, I've got to talk about the news out of Winter Park that someone from Arizona might be buying the Vikings. And of course, I don't like this at all, not one bit! I'd like to think that this would spur on Taylor to make a more substantive offer to McCombs, but the fact that the lead Arizona investor is black may supersede the NFL's desire to have local ownership. Reggie Fowler, the lead Arizona investor, would be the first minority owner in the NFL, and that must have Tagliabue very excited. I just wish he was from Minnesota. The article above even hinted that McCombs could possibly sell before the season begins! Wow, I hope Taylor is getting his ducks in a row because this looks serious. I am of the opinion that we need local ownership to build a stadium in Minnesota for the Vikings. If Fowler buys the team I don't think he will have any better luck than McCombs. This is not good.

• Speaking of the Vikings, I didn't get to see the game live Saturday night, but I did tape it so I watched the first half on Sunday. I agree with most of the analysis that the defense looked strong, especially Dontarrious Thomas. That guy was everywhere. I also thought the front four were dominating. 3 sacks in the first half is very, very good. The offense was a little rusty, but as Sid Hartman tells us this could be a big year for Moss with officials cracking down on contact after five yards. And did you see the pass interference penalty on the corner guarding Moss in the second quarter? I think that is the first time I have ever seen an official call that. Maybe Moss has gained a little more respect from the officials finally. Overall, I was happy with the performance especially from the defense. Then again, we were playing the Cardinals so we shouldn't read too much into this.

• Finally, the Twins are playing the Yankees tonight and I am excited about the possibilities. I predict that we will take 2 out of three. Radke and Santana should win, and Silva probably won't. I gotta tell you, and this will probably give away my lack of knowledge about baseball, but I almost wish Nathan was one of our starting pitchers. I know, it is great to have such a dominating closer, but I think it would also be great to have him in the starting rotation. Maybe he can't handle so many innings? Maybe his arm would get too tired? I don't know. I do think he would be better than Silva or Lohse (I'm cutting Mulholland some slack). Truly though, what do I know? I'll leave the managine to Gardy.

That's all for now. See you soon.

Posted by snackeru at August 17, 2004 8:43 AM | Sports

The news about Fowler was troubling. The fact that he is from Arizona, though, probably means he would have to keep the Vikes in Minnesota. I wonder, though, if this bit of news wasn't dropped solely for Glen Taylor's benefit. It seems fishy that this story comes out one week after Taylor visits training camp. Perhaps Red is trying to drive the price up. I agree with what you wrote, Shane, that an absentee owner will never get public funding for a stadium. I think it is Glen Taylor or nothing!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 17, 2004 8:52 AM

Sorry you gotta deal with this Shane. I want the Vikings to stay in the NFC North and do not want them to move. It is such a perfect division. An absentee, out of state owner will not get a stadium bill passed, especially if he is like Red or Carl. I don't think Taylor is going to buy the team. This is just a feeling I have on this. Reason is is that he has been really slow in his pursuit and really hasn't made a serious offer. If he hasn't by now, he's not going to until the end of the season.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 17, 2004 9:58 AM

Here is Viking Update's take on the sale rumors:

"VU has been told that the Vikings have spoken with an investment group from Arizona about purchasing the team. Just as the annual threat to move the team to L.A. comes up, so do rumors of a sale to outside investors. This time, however, it looks as serious as ever and could be sold by the end of the month."

Certainly a sale to anyone other than Taylor would not be good news. I pray he comes through with the money.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at August 17, 2004 12:58 PM

• eXTReMe Tracker