< Not good ... not good at all | Main | How about those Twins? >

Intentions

At this point, the question on everyone's mind is, "What are the intentions of Reggie Fowler?" Does he want to move the team, or does he want to keep the Vikings in Minnesota? The fact that he is from Arizona, a state that already has a team, is sort of a good thing. However, he isn't a Vikings fan. I bet that this last weekend's game was the first time he had ever been to Minnesota. He probably doesn't care about the fans. He probably doesn't even care about the stadium. He cares about turning a profit. Fortunately for us, he would be the lowest member on the NFL ownership totem poll. I can't imagine that owners would turn over the lucrative LA market to such a new owner. But stranger things have happened.

Taylor has already said he will not get into a bidding war. That sucks. What good is it to have a few billionaires in our state if they don't step up in a time of need? Pohlad, God bless his greedy heart, stepped up and bought the Twins. Taylor stepped up and bought the T-Wolves. We shouldn't expect him to step up again, but it sure would be nice. And what about Dick Schulze of Best Buy? I can't believe our local wealthy people haven't jumped into action yet.

Let's look at the bright side. I was watching Minnesota Sports tonight last night (great show) and they were interviewing Jay Glazer, a national NFL writer, and asking him if he thought Mr. Fowler would hurt the teams chances for a stadium and he actually said absolutely not. He said the team is sitting very pretty with the cap right now, and that they should be sitting pretty for another five years. A new owner would spend more money than Red to bring in the talent to win a Super Bowl and perhaps push the team's stadium woes to the forefront of the state legislature. This is what Glazer said, anyway. I'm not sure I agree with him, but would Taylor seriously have any better luck at building a stadium? If Taylor bought the team he has already said the Vikings would never move. There goes his leverage at the state capitol. If the House doesn't think the team is in danger of moving why build a new stadium? So, maybe having Fowler buy the team is a good thing.

Again, the crux of the matter is his intentions on moving the team. Let's just hold out hope that he wants to keep the team in Minnesota. Tagliabue doesn't want the team to move, that is for sure. We are a good market with loyal fans and a lot of team history. Sadly, in all of this Tagliabue may be the best friend that we have. Tagliabue cares about the health of the league and the Vikings staying in the NFC North makes for a much healthier league. McCombs and Fowler may only be interested in turning a profit.

Man is this painful. Why is it so painful to be a fan of Minnesota sports? Man do we suffer. I'm so sick of it!

Posted by snackeru at August 18, 2004 8:44 AM | Vikings

I am truly lucky to be from WI and a fan of the Brewers, Packers, Bucks and Badgers. I never have to worry about the Packers leaving and Lambeau is the best stadium in the NFL. The Brewers (although horribly managed at the top of the organization) have a beautiful park as Shane will attest to and thus are in no danger of moving or contraction. Granted, not a great product at this time, but they have the best farm system in the majors currently, so there is hope. The Bucks are owned by a local billionaire who is willing to build yet another new stadium for them (he already built the Bradley Center in Milwaukee and the Kohl Center in Madison for the UW basketball and hockey teams). The Badgers have a 75,000+ stadium that is getting refurbished and looks fantastic (similar to Lambeau). What I am trying to say Shane, is come back to your roots. You are from WI and there is plenty to root for and be proud of with these teams. You will be welcomed back with open arms like the prodigal son was. Shane, come home.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at August 18, 2004 11:07 AM

I think I'm going to be sick. Get thee behind me Satan!

Posted by: Shane at August 18, 2004 12:29 PM