< The Fair | Main | What a day >

Stuff on my mind

• My mom tells me that I am a distant relative of Knute Rockne. According to her, he is like me "800th cousin" or something like that. I know Cheesehead Craig won't be impressed, but it appears my awesome knowledge of football isn't just a fluke, it is in my blood.

• Good Twins game last night. I must admit that I'm never too excited when the game goes to extra innings, but Torii Hunter's walk-off home run made it all worth while. I also read that Lohse's position in the rotation is in jeopardy based on last night's performance. I don't know what to think about that. Who else do the Twins have? Joe Roa? J.D. Durbin? Matt Guerrier? You know, I didn't think Seth Greisinger did too bad of a job when he pitched early this season. It looks like we've got options, I'm just not too sure they are much better than Lohse.

• This is probably obvious or well-known to most of you already, but SI.com has a great daily wrap up of the world of sports called "The 10 Spot" which I have started to read everyday. Yesterday's edition has a very good discussion on the Paul Hamm gold medal controversy and presents it from an angle that I didn't consider. It is actually pretty convincing. Anyway, some may consider The 10 Spot a rip-off of the Daily Quickie from ESPN, but I actually think The 10 Spot is a little better.

• If you haven't had a chance to look at Anoka County's bid to build a new Vikings stadium in Blaine, now is your chance. They have a great FAQ about the stadium proposal that really does a nice job of arguing for the merits of stadium development in general. Among the highlights:

Anyway, it was a great FAQ. Check it out if you are interested.

Posted by snackeru at September 1, 2004 9:03 AM | Sports | Stadiums

I have never gotten over the irony of a Norwegian being the greatest head coach of the Fighting Irish!

Curt in Grand Forks (who is proud to be Irish, and views his Swedish last name as a burden)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 1, 2004 9:11 AM

Notre Dame sucks!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 1, 2004 10:59 AM

I think I need to give Craig an "Irish surprise." What's your beef with God's favorite team?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 1, 2004 11:49 AM

I have no problem with his favorite team, the Green Bay Packers. Notre Dame is just full of whiney little overrated punks.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 1, 2004 1:40 PM

The Irish sure have a lot of NCAA Football Championship trophies for a bunch of "whiny overrated punks." More, I would hazard to guess, than the rodents of Madison!

Curt in Grand Forks (who wants to remind everyone that it is better to be dead than Red)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 1, 2004 3:29 PM

Bah! Those championships are nothing more than paid sportswriter votes by a greedy university. Notre Dame keeps being touted as a great university, but they are all about the almighty $. They conned NBC, who after losing their NFL contract to FOX and being desparate for ANY football, to an exclusive TV deal. They eschewed all conferences due to that they would have to share a much greater amount of that TV revenue. Also, when the talk came around for them to possibly join the Big Ten, they would only join on thier terms, which was that they did not want to play at Michigan or Ohio State for 3 years. They were too afraid of playing them outside of their own pathetic stadium. That's how the Miami rivalry ended, the "mighty" Irish would only play Miami again if it agreed to play the next 3 games at South Bend. They are a chickensh*t excuse of a program and school. There, my rant is done, you have no argument, I win!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 1, 2004 8:17 PM