< Links of the day | Main | Short >

Musings

• The big question of the summer didn't concern the war in Iraq, or Kerry vs. Bush, Santana for the Cy Young, or a place kicker for the Vikings. No, this was the big question: what is the better movie, Anchorman or Dodgeball? Both are shockingly stupid. Both feature Vince Vaughn. Both are sometimes offensive, sometimes even painful to watch. However, I have the definitive answer: Anchorman is by far the funnier movie. Dodgeball has its moments (the wrench scene comes to mind), but Anchorman is simply hilarious, highlighted by Jack Black's cameo and the rumble in the alley with all the other news teams. Anchorman didn't try to be anything but a really stupid movie and it succeeded on every level. I dare say it has now entered my hall of fame of great comedies. We have Tommy Boy, we have Happy Gilmore, and now we have Anchorman.

• I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts this weekend. If you haven't been there, you are really missing out. I've been there before for an exhibit, but I had never taken the time to walk around and check out the regular collection. What an absolute treasure. I was stunned by the amount and diversity of the art they have, from Egyptian to Chinese to Impressionism to Native American, and much, much more. We actually got lost trying to weave our way through all the collections. Amazing. I will definitely be going back and soon.

• Finally, my wife and I took our two boys to Valley Fair this weekend. I hadn't been to Valley Fair in probably 20 years so it was neat to see how the place has changed and how it has stayed the same. I didn't ride the Wild Thing, but I did ride Excalibur and that is really saying something for me. Usually you couldn't get me within a two block radius of a ride like that, but this time I decided to buck up and take my kids on it. It was actually a lot of fun. The day ended a little short because of the torrential downpour we got caught in, but we had fun with that too. It is not everyday that you just stand in the rain and let it pelt you. Very liberating in some ways. We even went on some rides in the rain. So, all in all, I'm sure it will be a day that the kids remember for a long time. And I'm all about creating memories.

I'll probably write more later.

Posted by snackeru at September 7, 2004 8:49 AM | Life

While I have not seen Anchorman, I have a hard time imagining it being funnier than Dodgeball. The wrench scene, the ESPN "Ocho" gag, and Ben Stiller's acting seem hard to top. I also loved Jason Bateman as the color guy on the "Ocho" broadcast. I'll definitely have to rent Anchorman when it comes out.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 7, 2004 9:26 AM

Dodgeball was good, but it does not compare with Anchorman. At least for me. Curt, you have a better sense of humor than me so I'll be very interested to see if you agree with me when you see Anchorman. Just thinking about some of the scenes makes me chuckle even now.

Posted by: Shane at September 7, 2004 9:36 AM