< Moving on Up | Main | St. Paul Twins stadium in jeopardy >

Vikings notes

This weekend is really the official start of fall. Not because of the leaves changing colors or the temperature getting colder, but because of NFL football. Like many Vikings fans I am really looking forward to this season. Most prognosticators are picking the Vikings to win the NFC North, and I can't say I disagree. With an improved defense to go along side their stunning offense, I think the Vikings will surprise a lot of people. One prognosticator that I really admire is the Tuesday Morning Quarterback now with NFL.com. His writing is humorous, thought provoking, and not always just about football. Lots of good stuff to ponder. Concerning the Vikings, he hammered Randy Moss in his NFC preview, saying:

TMQ thinks what's wrong with the Vikings is the obvious -- Randy Moss. Sure he's scary good, but for six years now, the Minnesota program has been structured around getting Moss his stats and stroking his puerile ego. This hasn't added up to a championship, has it? ... In six years, no one at Minnesota has stood up to the runaway selfishness of Moss. Until someone does, this franchise is goin' nowhere.

Ouch. I wouldn't say this team has gone absolutely nowhere in six years with Randy Moss. Two NFC championship games is more than anyone else in the NFC North have been to in six years. Yet, a Super Bowl victory is the name of the game, there is no disputing that. And although he dislikes Randy Moss, he still picks the Vikings to win the NFC North with a 12-4 record in his All-haiku NFL predictions edition of TMQ. Apparently not satisfied with the verbal abuse he gives Moss in the previous article, he offers this haiku about the Vikings:
Moss volunteers to
block and run decoy routes. Not!
Minnesota Vikes.
Yes, very upsetting. There is so much more to the team than Randy. I've written about Daunte before, and how lucky we are to have him so I offer this haiku as a replacement:

Daunte Culpepper
      This season's league MVP
      No, I don't smoke weed

Or, perhaps it would be better to take a little jab at our rivals?

Brett Favre, why do you
      lay on the ground? Oh, you've met
      Udeze and friends

Please feel free to add your own Vikings related haiku in the comments below. I am actually looking forward to what Cheesehead Craig can come up with.

In conclusion, I am pumped for this Sunday. It should be a great game, and as many of you know, I will be there. Truly, this is the year of the Vikings. Winning the NFC North will only be the beginning.

Posted by snackeru at September 10, 2004 6:12 AM | Vikings

Here's my first ever foray into haiku:

Packers win the North
Shane becomes depressed again
There's always next year

Daunte, Oh Daunte
Why do you drop the football?
Underwear is full

Lambeau is awesome
Under sky of blue, not dome
Too bad Viking fans

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 10, 2004 9:32 AM

Good stuff here, Craig. Although I am a little disgusted about the "Underwear is full" comment. It is creative, I'll give you that. No time write now, but I'm sure I will be offering more haikus later in the day.

Posted by: Shane at September 10, 2004 9:53 AM

Always opt'mistic,
the RedSox fans of football
say "this is the year!"

Posted by: kurtis at September 10, 2004 10:33 AM

Good one Kurtis. Although I hate comparing myself to Red Sox fans. I hate the Red Sox almost as much as I hate the Yankees. How about this:

Culpepper to Moss
Touchdown! Packers fans whining
Music to my ears

Posted by: Shane at September 10, 2004 12:22 PM

Rain, snow, sunshine, sleet
Will always be fair-weather
For Viking fans. Right?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 10, 2004 3:06 PM

Packers fans, too drunk
They miss Culpepper to Moss
Spill beer on their cheese

Favre throws one more pick
Cheeseheads too busy praising
Themselves to notice

Posted by: Shane at September 10, 2004 3:37 PM

Vikings are rested
Got to watch playoffs again
From Lazy-boy chair

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 10, 2004 5:01 PM