< Why do I even try to think of a title... | Main | An evening with the Twins >

New U2

If you haven't heard yet, the new U2 album will be called How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Just by the title alone, I can tell the album will rock. The album will be released on Nov. 23 in the US, and we will begin hearing the first single, "Vertigo," on Sept. 24. That's right! This month! The rest of the tracks on the album have been speculated to be thus (from Interference.com) :

Crumbs From Your Table
City of Blinding Lights
Man & Woman
Yahweh
Vertigo
Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
All Because of You
Tough
Miracle Drug
Full Metal Jacket/Native Son
Love, Peace or Else

Honestly, who isn't pumped about this? Probably a few of you. That is too bad. Anway, in honor of this news I will now list out my favorite U2 albums in order of how much I like them, and how much I listen to them:

1. Achtung Baby -- This is the best. There is no argument. Favorite songs: "Until the End of the World," "Mysterious Ways," "One"
  2. Zooropa -- This is a close second to Achtung Baby. Truthfully I don't know why I like this album so much. It just has a fresh sound I guess. Favorite songs: "Zooropa," "Numb," "Lemon," "Stay!" "The First Time"
  3. Joshua Tree -- Timeless beauty. I was in the ninth grade when this one came out and you just knew there was something special about this band. And their rendition of "Streets" during Super Bowl XXXVI is the best and most inspiring Super Bowl half time show ever. I know, it isn't hard to top the Super Bowl's usual crap. Favorite songs: "Streets," "I Still Haven't Found," "One Tree Hill," "Red Hill Mining Town," "In God's Country"
  4. The Unforgettable Fire -- The true start of U2's sound, probably due to the influence of Eno and Lanois. This was my college study album. If I put this one on, my papers flew out of my mind. Favorite songs: "A Sort of Homecoming, "Bad," "Pride," "Elvis Presley and America"
  5. All That You Can't Leave Behind -- Some might say this is a little low on my list, but it is funny how it can be so low and still be a great album. It just isn't one I pop in as much. Favorite songs: "Beautiful Day," "Stuck in a Moment," "Elevation"
  6. October -- I really like this album. You can tell the band is really searching at this point, for their sound and their souls. Very passionate and raw. Favorite songs: "Gloria," "Scarlet, "I Fall Down"
  7. War -- Good stuff here. Just not as good as October for some reason. Favorite songs: "Sunday," "New Year's Day," "Refugee, "40"
  8. Boy -- Again, a great album, just not one I pop in much. Favorite songs: "I Will Follow," "An Cat Dubh," "The Electric Co."
  9. Pop -- I don't know about this one. Probably their biggest album for religious imagery, but for me it was too dark, too ugly. That doesn't mean it doesn't have some good songs though. Favorite songs: "Gone," "Staring at the Sun"
  10. Rattle and Hum -- I don't listen to this one at all. Favorite songs: "Desire," "Angels of Harlem"

There you have it. The way I see it (as far as U2 is concerned). By the way, I'd stick "Under a Blood Red Sky" right in between October and Boy. It is a great live album, but not studio material.

Posted by snackeru at September 14, 2004 5:16 PM

blah blah blah U2 blah blah blah overrated blah blah blah not relevant anymore blah blah blah rattle and hum way better than zooropa blah blah blah save tibet blah blah blah save ireland blah blah blah save the whales blah blah blah save the snails blah blah blah

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 15, 2004 11:35 AM

I could handle everything you said except "not relevant anymore." What kind of stuff do you listen to? 93X and Hoobastank? Let's compare: Hoobastank's last album sold 2 million, U2's last album sold 7 million. Hoobastank sells out First Avenue, U2 sells out the Metrodome. Bono gives the commencement address at Harvard, Hoobastank's lead singer hasn't graduated from high school. Bono is nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, Hoobastank voted "most likely to get busted for weed."

Go back to your Metallica and Rob Zombie, Cheesehead. Leave the "relevant" music to me.

Posted by: Shane at September 15, 2004 11:57 AM

Where the heck did Hoobastank come from? Yes, I am a Metallica fan, thank you very much. Created an entirely new sound and re-energized an entire music genre for 20 years. I wonder who has sold more albums ever, Metallica or U2? That would be interesting to know.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 15, 2004 12:52 PM

Ha! You can make horribly bad generalizations about U2 but I can't do the same about your own musical tastes? And why did you have to ask that question? Don't you know the librarian in me has to find the answer?

U2 has sold 135 million albums worldwide. Metallica has sold 90 million. Metallica's biggest album, "Metallica" sold over 12 million, U2's biggest album, "The Joshua Tree" sold over 25 million.

Posted by: Shane at September 15, 2004 1:35 PM

By the way, Metallica's last album, "St. Anger," sold about 2 million copies. I'm not saying Metallica isn't popular, but as far as impact goes the comparison just isn't there. After 9/11 people flocked to U2 shows like they were going to church. Why do you think they played the halftime show during the Super Bowl? The word you're looking for is "relevance."

Posted by: Shane at September 15, 2004 1:43 PM

Amazing how for every highlight reel the networks and the NFL (and just about every other sporting organization ie NHL, NBA, the Olympics etc.) use hard rock music. But when it's time to appease the masses, some lame band or bubble gum group gets chosen to do halftime. Aerosmith did a much better job at the Super Bowl than U2. There was an electricity in the air, people felt energized, after all they were AT THE SUPER BOWL. It wasn't some glorified folk band that can only sing about misery and pain.

And as I said Shane, Metallica had a far greater impact on it's genre of music than U2 did. You ask anyone to name a hard rock band, I would bet 90% will say Metallica right off the bat. The words you are looking for Shane, are groundbreaking, influential and yes, relevant

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 15, 2004 4:27 PM

I don't know how this argument turned into an argument questioning Metallica's relevance. I seem to recall taking exception to your suggestion that U2 isn't relevant anymore. I am satisfied I have proved that they are indeed still relevant, more than you are willing to admit I'm sure. And you are the first person I have ever heard say that you enjoyed the Aerosmith half time show. Craig, people were *crying* during the U2 half time show. When they displayed all the names of the 9/11 victims, people in the stadium (and at home like me) were *moved*. Maybe you just enjoy Justin and Britney butchering "Walk This Way" more? And one more thing, remember the song they played last night after the Twins won? It's called "Beautiful Day" by U2.

You have no argument. I win. And to top it off, burgerflickle!

Posted by: Shane at September 15, 2004 6:41 PM

1- I said AEROSMITH was great, not the flavor-of-the-month-bubble-gum-pop-bands that soiled the stage. When AEROSMITH came out, the stadium exploded! Wish it would only have been them.

2- You could have had the Teletubbies out there for a 9/11 tribute and people would have cried, it was a friggin' 9/11 tribute!!! Don't confuse heartbreaking national tragedy for support for a band.

3- This argument was just to have fun. I have no real defense for my position, just that no one has contradicted you for a while around here.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 16, 2004 10:27 AM

1 -- The stadium always explodes when the band comes out. Big deal. I'm a big Aerosmith fan, but U2's show was better.

2 -- No way. You aren't giving the music enough credit. Let's use Aerosmith as an example again. Would any of their songs had the same impact as "Streets" did on the crowd? No way. The Super Bowl half time committee knew they needed to set the right mood. They knew they needed the perfect music for such an important tribute. It is no mystery, to me at least, why they chose U2.

3 -- I know. Arguing is OK by me especially when I know I'm right!

Posted by: Shane at September 16, 2004 10:42 AM

You know the best part of this, I never saw the U2 halftime show. However, you are wrong that Rattle and Hum is not the 3rd or 4th best U2 album. It is definately better than Zooropa.

Finally, you smell and your wife dresses you funny.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 16, 2004 11:08 AM

Hi, I`m from Bulgaria and I was wondering what is that shit to compre Metallica and U2?

Metallica rockz and U2 just sing for the girls. Michael Jackson sold more than U2 and what about that?

So I think that becuase Metallica sounds heavy and not so good for the ears of the most people and this is really great they sold so much...think about that...

Posted by: Bojo at December 11, 2004 6:01 AM

Hi, I`m from North Dakota and I was wondering what is that bull-puckey to compare Metallica and U2?

I never heard of this here Metallica. I bet they have long hair and look like girls. U2 is from Ireland and we here in the Frozen Wasteland love anyone from Ireland because they make Guinness. We have Guinness for breakfast. We love Guinness, therefore we love U2. I bet Michael Jackson couldn't even lift a pint of stout.

Finally, you are all missing the point anyway. Lawrence Welk is the man. You can polka and drink Guinness at the same time. I'd love for U2 to cover a Lawrence Welk song. You can't polka to this here Metallica or that there Mikey Jackson ...think about that...I gotta get back to the hogs.

Posted by: Brian Maas at December 11, 2004 8:57 AM

U2 did not sell 135 million albums. Just before the release of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, the press anounced that U2 had sold over 120 million albums. I remember that in 2003 U2 had reportedly sold 115 million copies, so 120 million is probably true and 135 million is overestimated. As they have already shipped (just shipped, and not sold) more than 5 million copies of How to Dismantle..., sales numbers should increase to over 125 million, making U2 one of the biggest rock artists ever. Numbers for The Joshua Tree are not officially updated, so I believe 27 million is not a very reliable number. The last widespread numbers accused 15 million years ago, but the album has probably sold over 20 million by now and 25 million is not out of question.

Metallica, on the other side, sold over 90 million albums worldwide, not so far away from U2. US sales are much higher than international ones. The Black Album has probably reached the 20 million mark worldwide, as Metallica's most popular album. It sold far more copies than Joshua Tree in North America, but can't be compared to U2 popularity in Europe.

Posted by: Skaertus at January 26, 2005 2:23 PM

u2 is good
but none of their no.s give an adrenaline rush
.honestly.it's true. not that i dont like songs which appeal to the heart.
my favourite band is bonjovi.metallica,if not better, is as gud as u2
.never mind the sales baby,cum on.
britney spears is the most selling female artist???????????????????????????
aerosmith is a class act.
take my word- far better than u2.

Posted by: ricky at February 2, 2005 8:17 AM

aerosmith is done and when they played the superbowl didnt they play with britney spears ,insinc,and shit .not U2 they have a bit more pride then that so screw cheesehead fred.

Posted by: acrobat at February 15, 2005 11:28 PM

Can you compare meet and fish? Metallica is hard rock/metal, U2 is pop/soft rock. U2 has released more albums, two best offs. Metallica has never released a best off. U2 has been played on the radio since the 80s. Metallica made their first video clip in 89 (One) and didn't get air play for their first 3 albums at all. So, when you compare album sales, Metallica isn't much behind U2. Correction: St. Anger has sold over 5 million records in Europe. The 2 million mentioned above where US sales. Plus, the black album has sold way over 20 millions. Look at the bill board chart and find out that this album still is a best seller. And i agree that Metallica has had a far greater impact on the harder rock genre and has a more hardcore fan base. There always people with Metallica shirts. That can't be said of U2. U2 is a family band in my opinion.

Posted by: J at June 3, 2005 7:28 AM

HELLOHELLO!(hola!)
I think that U2 is the best band in the world. Who cares about how many records have been sold or how many pimply teenagers wear metallica shirts. They care about music,they care about people, they care about the world, they write their own lyrics and songs, the edge is amazing, the have been together for 30 years, they will be together for 30 more. I love them and I always feel better listening to them.
But I think that your list of best albums is outta order. Personally, I prefer their 80's stuff over anything esle. And I rarely listen to Zooropa. It is second to last (everyone agrees that Pop is the worst) I love Boy,War,The Unforgettable Fire,October,and the Joshua Tree. Those are my top five...
Thanks
Lauren

Posted by: LaurenBeth at September 20, 2005 6:01 AM

U2 has sold more than 135 (soon 140), and metallica has'nt reached 100 millions yet.

Posted by: Benjamin A O at September 22, 2005 9:01 AM

U2 has sold more albums than metallica

Posted by: sass at October 2, 2005 9:35 AM

Who cares, just enjoy your music

Posted by: Griff at October 25, 2005 7:57 PM

U2: Most overrated band EVER.

Posted by: tootie at October 27, 2005 9:25 PM

I think U2 and metallica are far more similer than most will admit no they may sound totaly different but both have been goin 4 years and both are fantastic at what they do and influence many!
But U2 are a live act to reely see how fucking amazing they are u need to watch a gig like on dvd or wateva. live they never disapoint

Posted by: rossdaman at January 22, 2006 6:03 PM

i prefer ze stones

Posted by: Agnes at March 23, 2006 3:53 PM

man i like them both when i am relaxing i like u2 but when im partying i like metallica

Posted by: rooskie at April 2, 2006 9:04 PM

Look, its all a matter of preference. You can like metallica better if you like. Personally, i do like some of the statements metallica have made (best song being wherever i may roam), but U2 are something else. If ur not fully into them, maybe you can't appreciate how good they are, but they wrote in my opinion some of the best songs of the 80's, they didn't conform to the 80's typical pop like madonna or any of that, and they didn't conform to the metal scene like motley crue or something, they started, and still are, something different to everything going on. They are rock, but a bit poppy, and some songs they are pop, but they rock. Listen to sunday bloody sunday live, no doubt one of the best things you could possibly experience in the music industry. Into the 90's, they re-invented themselves and once again developed a new sound, but differed from the nirvana's and pearl jam's of that time. hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me --- awesome! and today, they stand above the pop-punk wannabes that crowd our mtv, or the r'n'b losers who only care about the dollars. GO U2. HOPE FOR ALL THE BEST, WE LOVE YOU DOWN UNDER, AND HOPE YOU ARE READY TO COME BACK END OF YEAR TO ROCK OuR WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Timbo at May 11, 2006 2:02 PM

Shane, you liked "yellow?!?" Possibly. The. Worst. U2. Song. Ever.

Posted by: freealonzo at May 11, 2006 2:29 PM

ok, first of all, metallica just passed the 100 million mark, that is quite impressive since u consider the fact that most cd's in america are bought by women, they have to have a lot of fans to sell that many...u2 is also a great band, dont get me wrong but metallica is better (in my opinion)and when st. anger was released it hit #1 in 30 different countries

Posted by: JPORT at May 21, 2006 5:08 AM

forgot to mention that metallica hasnt been around as long as u2 so when u look at total albums released, metallica has less, so that pretty much covers the total albums sold

Posted by: JPORT at May 21, 2006 5:11 AM